Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best low power tv ep with good er

milkyjoe

Hi Guys,

Apologies if I have already covered this, I have talked a lot about eps lately.  I was wondering what is the best tv low powered focal length ep that people use for wide-field observing (excluding the ethos range as they're too expensvie) !? :p

... and yes, I know I should try before I buy and I will do, but I am interested to know what everyone's favourite ep is. :glasses2:

Thanks.

I used to use a 35mm Panoptic eyepiece which had a luxurious 28mm of eye relief, very comfortable eye placement but the exit pupil became too large as I replaced scopes. I also had a 27mm Panoptic with a nice degree of eye relief at 16mm.

I now use a 26mm Nagler T5, which also has 16mm of eye relief and provides comfortable eye placement.

The Nagler T4's are really nice to use, especially the 17mm and the 22mm. They have plenty of eye relief and larger eye lenses than other Nagler designs which increases the immersive experience I feel.

Personally, I currently use the Nagler T5 31mm and an Ethos 21mm but I realise that the latter is off the agenda for this thread and I guess the 31mm is too as that costs well into the Ethos zone.

I have or have owned every long TeleVue apart from the 27mm Panoptic which by all accounts is a mistake on my part. It depends on your scope but all of these long eyepieces have plenty  of eye-relief, 20mm is normally considered good but the 35mm and 41mm Panoptics have even more.

My choice from the lot would the 31mm Nagler as long as you were not going to look at the Moon as it has edge distortion or the 35mm Panoptic where it is no as bad, both are excellent eyepieces. 

An Ethos was sold on UK Astro Buy & Sell for £250 ($380 approx) a couple of days back. The seller needed a really quick sale apparently. The more usual used price here is around £300 ($465) except for the 17mm and the 21mm which fetch a bit more.

At the moment I use a Panoptic 24mm. It's not that wide field but it is a cracking little eyepiece. I know the 10" f5 is constantly nagging me to get for it a 20mm Nagler but at the moment my funds are funding other gear :smiley:. Curiously, I've found the sweetest spot for the 4" f10 is a 19mm Panoptic, it's as if this couple were made for each other  :grin: 

I gather that the 24mm Panoptic has 15mm eye relief, whihc is a touch too tight for me: my glasses keep banging into the EP, which spoils the image. I have had this problem with Olly's Ethos, the Lunt zoom, and a coupleof others rated at 15mm ER. The 19mm has 13mm which I am sure will not work for me. For those without glasses, they are excellent.

The Delos range have excellent eye relief and although I take my glasses off to view, I reckon they would be fine for those who don't. Not only is there the eyepiece tube which can be slid up and down to find optimum comfort, there's also a reasonably generous eye-cup to snuggle right into. Depending on one's focal ratio, I find the Delos an outstanding medium power, widish-field eyepiece; just a shame they don't do a 1.25" 24mm version :grin:  

At the moment I use a Panoptic 24mm. It's not that wide field but it is a cracking little eyepiece. I know the 10" f5 is constantly nagging me to get for it a 20mm Nagler but at the moment my funds are funding other gear :smiley:. Curiously, I've found the sweetest spot for the 4" f10 is a 19mm Panoptic, it's as if this couple were made for each other  :grin:

Rob the 20mm T5 Nagler won't give you any more field than the 24mm pan, it's just higher power and better contrast. I'd go with a 22mm T4 if you want a bigger FOV ;)

In my 10" Dob the 20mm T5 is a perfect natch, but for really wide fields I have the big 31mm to fall back on.

Decisions eh ;)

Archived