Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar scope or quark..... which would you go for ?

Hi All

I have been doing a lot of to-ing and fro-ing in my mind as to the whole Ha scope vs Daystar quark advantages and disadvantages. More so specifically to the impending release of the Lunt LS50Tha which is priced in a similar ball park to the Quark (not taking in to account the need of a refractor to use the quark of course).

I have several niggles with the quark such as the possible 12 minute wait to get on band which may seem like an eternity in the winter months or equally frustrating when there are only short breaks in cloud. There is also the need for a power supply and a refractor if you don't already own one and possibly a focal reducer and several long focal length quality plossl to boot. Having used a Lunt wedge for several weeks now I have established a clear winner as regards to the most useable magnification I can use on the sun which is around x38. With the quark introducing x4.2 amplification there is going to be a further investment needed for focal reducers and eyepieces just to get the magnification down to a usable figure for visual observing.

Now some might say go with the LS50THa. Virtually the same price, no waiting to get on band, no x4.2 amplification and a short focal length allowing for the usual suspects from an eyepiece case to be used. I do very much like the idea of a dedicated solar scope that can be set up next to my white light scope and be outside and back indoors between clouds with no real drama.

The trouble is that I have come to the conclusion that the only way I'm going to improve on the views is with aperture! Trying to up the magnification on the sun is a waste of time for me, yes there are those days where you couldn't have it much better and the views take my breath away but rather than faffing swapping eyepieces I take it in and enjoy the steady seeing before the turbulence kicks off again. So if I can't really get anything from upping the mag the only way to improve what I see at the eyepiece is to go bigger and so gain resolution. This is where the quark has the flexibility that the LS50THa simply doesn't and why I can't help but think in the long term the Quark is the better investment. But then there is that whole waiting for the quark to get on band between adjustments that could see a break in the cloud go to waste.

Has anyone else had similar thoughts ??

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend from my local astro society has just returned his faulty Quark. Might be worth waiting a while until any teething troubles settle down. That said I looked through a Quark on a decent size apo at the International Astronomy Show and the view was incredible for something so compact.

None...............sorry but solar does not do it for me enough to do any thing other than a little white light once in a while, though i was impressed with Mj Toms Baader wedge thing at PSP a couple of years back

Trying to get a whole disc image... I like disc images, but then I also sometimes find I need a bit more resolution... Not sure you can have it both ways. Personally if I knew that the quark would give me double stacked detail then I would likely accept the limitations and go for it. Pity they don't specify a bandwidth, makes me wonder how repeatable the production is. Sometimes I am frustrated by the seemingly insensitive pressure tuner on my Lunt... Twist a lot and the changes are subtle... Waiting ages to see a change I can imagine would be an issue too.

Cheers, do tell us what decision you make and post some images!

Peter

hi Nick

I have been going from the quark to a Lunt 50 to a Lunt 60 to a quark to a PST mod to a PST double stack to a 60mm Coronado to a Lunt 50 and back again.........

In many ways I am still sold on the Lunt 50. It may have a smaller aperture but it is pressure tuned and is brand new (sometimes has its own problems) and of obvious quality as far as I can tell. I have and will probably never have interest in imaging so it's only a visual question for me.

I am wondering if a Lunt 50 (PST) type 1 mod might be a good idea and work well with a larger slower frac like an older Vixen or a tal 100. This would be a big move though and whether it is worth it I really don't know.

Not helping am I??

:smiley:

hi Nick

I have been going from the quark to a Lunt 50 to a Lunt 60 to a quark to a PST mod to a PST double stack to a 60mm Coronado to a Lunt 50 and back again.........

In many ways I am still sold on the Lunt 50. It may have a smaller aperture but it is pressure tuned and is brand new (sometimes has its own problems) and of obvious quality as far as I can tell. I have and will probably never have interest in imaging so it's only a visual question for me.

I am wondering if a Lunt 50 (PST) type 1 mod might be a good idea and work well with a larger slower frac like an older Vixen or a tal 100. This would be a big move though and whether it is worth it I really don't know.

Not helping am I??

:smiley:

You are in that I am not alone having trouble deciding what would be the worthy investment. :D

The trouble is I keep seeing what I could buy with the difference between a used PST or 35mm Lunt and a new Lunt 50. There are lots seeing nice levels of detail with 35mm Lunts.........maybe this is enough unless you are imaging?

Where I have struggled with the idea of having a fixed size solar scope is that the views are what you get and that's that. OK there may be double stacks and stage 1 mods that offer an option but these come at almost the same cost again. With the quark all you need do is get another frak up to 150mm say £300 or even going over the 150mm and investing in an ERF the cost will still be way lower that a dedicated solar scope of equal aperture. As magnification has it's limits the only improvement surely has to be aperture ???

I get great views through my 80mm and lunt HW but I still have to work for them. The thought of having more going on in the view and me loosing 30mm's worth of resolution :undecided:

The simple answer is buy both :grin:

Seriously though, because of the differences you mention, then you will have the best of both worlds. Personally if I had to choose, it would be the quark every time. With a smallish say 60-70mm refractor, you can easily get whole disk views. You mention the warm up time, but even with a Lunt scope, you need time for the optics to settle with the heat of the sun and you can view the Sun through a Quark even when it is warming up, just not optimally. I have a Quark on order and viewed though a couple at Kelling Heath recently. The detail is excellent and there is no sweet spot, everything you see in the eyepiece is all on band. Filaments are not as contrasty as with a Lunt scopes and then there is an issue with a fair few having to be returned which is surprising coming from Daystar. I am going to use mine on a 70mm WO refractor and in the future will get an ERF and use it with my FSQ 106..

Adrian

I think the problem I am having with it all is the LS50THa and Daystar Quark are both new and reviews or specs are limited. But as you say Adrian even a small 60-70mm refractor you can get whole disk views and already I see a 10-20mm advantage over the 50mm Lunt

I admit this is a real concern. With the Lunt HW it is clear how they have dealt with the heat but would I really be wanting my 2" di-electric diagonal taking the full brunt of the suns rays ?? I'm sure Daystar has taken this into consideration so surely there should be no law suits pending horrific burns.

The trouble is I keep seeing what I could buy with the difference between a used PST or 35mm Lunt and a new Lunt 50. There are lots seeing nice levels of detail with 35mm Lunts.........maybe this is enough unless you are imaging?

Don't talk yourself out of it Shane!! ;-)

Nick, I have a Quark coming tomorrow (yippee!), having been around similar loops to you.

I started off solar observing with a PST and loved it. Having not looked through anything else, I thought the detail visible was amazing, and had great fun with it.

I then bought the Herschel Wedge and used it in my TV76 alongside the PST for quite a while, again enjoying the views.

Once I got to 85mm with a Continuum filter, I found the detail available in it absolutely astounding, to such a degree that the PST lost its appeal, I found myself wanting more.

Given my obsession with refractors, the Quark seemed to make total sense. I can get full disk views with the Tak 60mm, and have other options up to the 120ED for higher power close-ups.

I reckon a Quark in an ED80 would be a pretty good combination, and I know Luke's desire for full disk views has lessened somewhat since seeing the higher mag possibilities.

As for warm up time, if I think about it, there are few times when I wouldn't be able to plug the Quark in as soon as I decide to observe and for it to be on band by the time I'm set up. I think it's a compromise worth making.

Doesn't mean a Lunt 50 or 60 aren't appealing though! :-)

You at PSP?

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK I'm going to stir things up a bit here :evil: . If the rays of light are still dispersed at this point would I be correct in saying the quark can be used in a Newtonian also as the light isn't focused until it reaches the eyepiece????

None...............sorry but solar does not do it for me enough to do any thing other than a little white light once in a while, though i was impressed with Mj Toms Baader wedge thing at PSP a couple of years back

I'm in a similar situation re: solar but nonetheless it's interesting to follow the introduction of a new product that might be a game changer in this field.

I tend to have an aversion to anything that needs a power supply and has wires attached in all honesty, especially if I'm going to be an early adopter :undecided:

I'm quite glad to be able to watch this one from the sidelines I think !

Having just reviewed that vid myself I think my mind has pretty much been made up for me. I totally missed that Shaun mentioned they are looking to releasing a x2 model in the future. This sure would save me a fortune buying longer FL eyepieces and better suit the refractors I already have. Not like the sun is going to be high in the sky for the coming months anyway.

the light must be 'hot' though at the focal point? then again I think I have answered my own question. presumably the 'heat' is filtered by the quark's filters like they are in any Ha set up.

given the chances of getting a Lunt 50 before PSP are remote, I hope I can get a look through Stu's quark and also a PST , Lunt 60 and hopefully a 35 there before I spend my loot. although at this point I am committed to buying a Lunt 50 with FLO and it would take a lot to convince me otherwise. If the views convince me through a 35 (or 60) then it's go for the 50 still.

I'm in a similar situation re: solar but nonetheless it's interesting to follow the introduction of a new product that might be a game changer in this field.

I tend to have an aversion to anything that needs a power supply and has wires attached in all honesty, especially if I'm going to be an early adopter :undecided:

I'm quite glad to be able to watch this one from the sidelines I think !

The whole power thing is off putting for me also John, that and the 12 min wait, but these power packs http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261588029479?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT are cheap enough and will charge themselves while your observing so you could easily spend a day out under clear skies and not have to worry about being caught short.

Archived