SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Custom refractor built - sharing the experience

So, more news on the built. Mark just sent me some photos of the polished scope:

21.10 (5 Of 5)

21.10 (3 Of 5)

21.10 (2 Of 5)

21.10 (1 Of 5)

And I went gaga......
Just got off the phone with him and cancelled the black / alumimium scheme. I am staying with the polished look. The scope will be waxed and I will take care of it with the occasional waxing myself to keep it in shape.
Everything will be polished aluminium and there will be black leather trim on the focuser knobs to sort of tie it in with a black diagonal and eyepieces.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as important as the outside look of the scope, is the internal bits vis-a-vis feeling as if you are peering into a black hole when you look down the scope lens assembly.

I told Mark about this paint which I used on my 120mm f5 and he will also use it on my scope. If anybody is interested, it's this one. It doesn't get any darker than that I think... 

Plus the baffles in the dew shield and the OTA, this will be one contrasty little scope!

• 2 weeks later...

Short update: apparently Mark was worried that I would not be *gentle* with the scope so he suggested "subtle two tone of polished aluminium for rings, and handle and nickle chrome for the ota and focuser, with black leather on the knobs".

And I liked the suggestion so we are going with this scheme...

Thanks Simon,

The telescope fabrication is at the last stages apparently. The focuser is being assembled and various bits and bobs are apparently on their way for polishing and chrome layering.

Mark now has to finish a set of aero rings (thinner than the usual ones), a handle and a vixen compatible dovetail.

The built should finish by end of November to avoid the Christmas congestion with packages! 

thats will be a beautiful looking scope Nicos and i agree Mark`s scopes are truly awesome looking instruments.Every scope is unique and his moto:"I make what people want " is not what you get often in this hobby.had a few dealings with Mark before and will have one again,highly recomended if you have a refractor and want to do some alterations.He will take on any job!

• 2 weeks later...

So, finally got the focuser knobs back and fitted with leather, as well as finishing off the finderscope bracket screws and the findershoe screws:

Nic (11 Of 11)

Nic (9 Of 11)

Nic (7 Of 11)

Next on the agenda is the scope handle (yes, even if it is a small scope, it will have a custom handle). Mark presented me with two ideas and I signed off on one of them just now.

I have preliminary photos but I will hold off on that until the fabrication of the actual unit is complete! Hint: The design I chose is the one appearing in the background in the photos, but it must be fabricated to scale.

I never though the focuser knobs would look so good in leather, but I am happy to say that it was a really pleasant surprise!

Final stretch Simon!   :grin:

My first email exchange on a custom scope with Mark was on 20/07/2014 and apparently it will culminate into a nice Christmas present to myself as Mark will try to ship prior to the Christmas holiday rush so I guess another couple of weeks. 

More photos just came in. My rings and handle are the ones on the right.

Rings have been polished, handle to go soon  :grin:

Really excited here. This made my day, my weekend and possibly all of next week. Them rings and handle are a work of art!

Aaa (1 Of 3)

Aaa (2 Of 3)

Aaa (3 Of 3)

I have asked Mark to engrave the scope with his signature and the name Moonraker and I am expecting his reply. I am so pleased by the progress on this scope that I find it abhorrent to not have the mark of the craftsman who built it on the telescope. There is a sweet spot under the focuser which should do just fine!

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly there. Almost all bits received and now the jigsaw puzzle of putting it together will commence.

Hopefully shipment will take place next week. Mark is also a connoisseur of all things pickled, so apparently I am getting a jar of something special as well  :grin:

Zz (4 Of 4)

Zz (3 Of 4)

Zz (2 Of 4)

Zz (1 Of 4)

Zz (1 Of 1)

Thanks folks!

Although the scope would be delivered next week, now there will be a slight delay as we will add a counterweight system.

Problem is that if you stick a 2" diagonal and 2" eyepiece, the scope like all small scopes, becomes back heavy. So, a 10 minute chat with Mark, a few photos of mock ups and we (or rather the Connoseur of All Things Pickled and Fabricator Extraordinaire) came up with a simple solution.

I guess more photos are coming up next week...

Wow - looking truly awesome!

The completed sculpture is most certainly far more than merely the sum of its parts.

Edibly gorgeous.

Good enough to take out for dinner somewhere special...

"Good evening sir, and would your beautiful telescopic companion like to have tonight?"

"Stars, please!"

• 7 months later...

Archived