Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Determining the age of your NEQ6 mount

coenie777

Is there any way that you can determine a date of manufacture for your NEQ6 mount?

I bought mine second hand and as such do not have a good time line on it. I would really want to try and confirm if it is older than 3 years or not.

Any suggestions on "aging" an NEQ6? :smiley:

I've never come across any batch or serial numbers so I doubt there is an easy way. Unless there are some subtle design changes you could look for.

Just out of curiosity, why is the age important? If it works to a degree that you are happy, then that's happy days?

Ant

To be honest, the age has little to do with how long it will last, mine is an older one, well used well looked after, stripped and rebuilt with better bearings and synscan upgraded and it will outlast any new one that sits outside or is abused. What i'm trying to say is you can ruin a new one in one night or keep an older one for ever. Also age has no relation to use levels, I know a friend who used his 130times in one year and another who used his twice, both are still working fine, but the heavily used one is newer..

Yes the newer mounts have an hour glass shaped puck and the older version is straight I think.

The important thing is how well does it run, you can get newer used mounts that have been abused and older mounts that have hardly been used and kept in there original box.

Having just bought a second hand neq6 I have a very good reason for saying this :’-(

Astro Baby has a page that gives a idea of when different versions of the EQ6/NEQ6 appeared: http://www.astro-baby.com/EQ6%20rebuild%20guide/EQ6%20Development%20and%20Software%20Releases.htm

I bought mine in March 2010: It came with an NEQ6 name plate and a single Vixen dovetail (with the new shaped puck) but without the counterweight bar extension.

Thanks all, I suspect mine must be post 2010. It has the bar extention as well as a single 13" Vixen plate.

The firmware were upgraded to the second last version but the previous owner could have done that.

It was very well looked after with only three small chips one the whole setup. It even still have the plastic that go over the silver markers on the axes. Oh, and it was delivered in it's original boxes and styrofoam.

But the other comments were also noted. If it has been looked after and I continue doing so myself, it will last me a long time.

Appreciate the replies.

The EQ6 has a fairly long history- there are at least 4 major revisions that I'm aware of:

1) First black version- distinguished by it's basic, non-illuminated polar scope.

2) Second black version- has illuminated polar finder and adjustable worm drives.

3) First white version- stepper motors and GOTO handset added.

4) Current white version- dual saddle clamp, extended counterweight bar.

All versions are fairly robust if treated well and are upgradable to latest spec- I have recently added GOTO and belt mod to the MK1 black mount for instance.

Archived