Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is it possible to automate one's entire night of imaging?

Evening all,

I want to find out whether there is a way of creating a 'target queue' via either freeware or some retail software - so that after starting the 'process' the program running on my laptop slews the Advanced VX via the NexRemote program to the target, then it tells Backyard EOS to take all of the LIGHTS (say total of 2 hours worth), then the process after being notified from BYE that all LIGHTS are done, then slews to the next target and carries out the new set of LIGHTS etc etc. So I can leave it alone for the whole night.

I imagine that this wanders more into the realms of computer programming and maybe writing a work sheet? Indeed I have done a little scientific computing work, so have a basic knowledge of the technicalities. I seem to rmeber someone at stalk saying that Cartes du Ciel had a similar feature? Or would a Starry Night version have such a feature?

Any pointers most welcome. Thanks in advance.

I can't remember any of the program or application names, but Jonas Grinde http://stargazerslounge.com/user/7640-grinde/ and a few others I know of have automated obsys. I think his rig is situated at Olly's place in france now. He used to have a rig in sweden where the roof automaticly rolled off when the sky was clear (clould sensor camera), and started shooting targets from a priority list (taking into account height above horizon and location of the moon). He just had to check his FTP for fresh data each morning :)

Chuck him a PM and ask what he uses.

Evening all,

I want to find out whether there is a way of creating a 'target queue' via either freeware or some retail software - so that after starting the 'process' the program running on my laptop slews the Advanced VX via the NexRemote program to the target, then it tells Backyard EOS to take all of the LIGHTS (say total of 2 hours worth), then the process after being notified from BYE that all LIGHTS are done, then slews to the next target and carries out the new set of LIGHTS etc etc. So I can leave it alone for the whole night.

I imagine that this wanders more into the realms of computer programming and maybe writing a work sheet? Indeed I have done a little scientific computing work, so have a basic knowledge of the technicalities. I seem to rmeber someone at stalk saying that Cartes du Ciel had a similar feature? Or would a Starry Night version have such a feature?

Any pointers most welcome. Thanks in advance.

I don't understand what u wish to achieve? As it stands most of the DSO imaging is already automated, the only bit that you need to do is the PA if the mount is not in an obsy and then framing the target. Most of the capture software that I know of already have a sequence generator even with a filter wheel and gradual cool down and warm up of the CCD. CDC can even send the mount to the target without the use of the handset and Astrotortilla can center the target to a great degree of accuracy, sequence genrator pro and AA5 also have plate solving capabilty.

A.G

One popular way is to use Maxim DL with ACP from DC-3 Dreams. Jonas that is mentioned above are running that, with ACP you can have a weather sensor that know what type of weather it is and then open up the observatory and after that start to slew to object, automatic V-curve autofocus, plate solve, fine adjust framing, start an image sequence and can be programmed to move to next target and do a new autofocus or just do a new autofocus after a few hours. I do not know if any other software is capable of that. Btw it is pointless if the software can't do an autofocus if you what to do a whole night foto session automatic.

I can't remember any of the program or application names, but Jonas Grinde http://stargazerslounge.com/user/7640-grinde/ and a few others I know of have automated obsys. I think his rig is situated at Olly's place in france now. He used to have a rig in sweden where the roof automaticly rolled off when the sky was clear (clould sensor camera), and started shooting targets from a priority list (taking into account height above horizon and location of the moon). He just had to check his FTP for fresh data each morning :)

Chuck him a PM and ask what he uses.

Yes, four fully automated rigs do run at my place. Weather safety, roof opening, image locating, target shopping list, focus, flats, scope parking and roof closure are alll fully automated. I don't get involved with the details but this is done through ACP which is not free, that's for sure!

For a lesser degree of automation, the kind you might use at home with the setup nearby, Sequence Generator Pro seems like the business. I know that Yves uses this for his setup at home. It will handle the meridian flip and stop the mount etc. He says it works well with his Avalon, which is effectively an EQ6 from the IT side of things. I really am quite tempted to try this myself in order to get more sleep!

Olly

Edit, I should add that focus is most critical. You cannot expect any rig to hold focus all night. A good robotic focus system is quite a costly bit of kit but it is not viable to do without it. Our TEC140 at F7 sometimes goes all night but it's the only one that does.

Thanks all, helpful information. A question to you all: I understand the need for a motorised focuser add-on. Can anyone recommend a suitable product that would be compatible with a William Optics GTF81 ? Though since the focuser so so good already, just a motor upgrade (without replacing the focuser)?

Have a look at Sequence Generator Pro, http://www.mainsequencesoftware.com/Products/SGPro . It does everything, slew, plate solve, exposures, on to next target and more!

Photogav: Seuence Generator Pro looks exactly like what I am after.

Muchas gracias!

Thanks all, helpful information. A question to you all: I understand the need for a motorised focuser add-on. Can anyone recommend a suitable product that would be compatible with a William Optics GTF81 ? Though since the focuser so so good already, just a motor upgrade (without replacing the focuser)?

Photogav: Seuence Generator Pro looks exactly like what I am after.

Muchas gracias!

Id look at the Robofocus / Lakeside options

Edit, I should add that focus is most critical. You cannot expect any rig to hold focus all night. A good robotic focus system is quite a costly bit of kit but it is not viable to do without it. Our TEC140 at F7 sometimes goes all night but it's the only one that does.

I don't trust my rig to hold focus for 10 minutes :)

I'm currently experiencing my second light with SGP.

If you do look at it I recommend installing a local Astrometry.net plate solver, I haven't had a failed plate solve yet but elbrus was hit and miss if your mount pointing isn't all that great, (learned that the first time I used it)

Things I have learned tonight:

- make sure you use PHD2, it doesn't seem to talk to PHD1 for me

- you need to start PHD and run the config before you run a sequence

- the frame and mosaic wizard is definitely worth the extra cash

- rotating your frame by 3 degrees by hand is hard!!

other than that, its awesome, I'm already looking at an Optec Pyxis Rotator and Lakeside Astro motor focuser.

Ouch my wallet!

Thanks for the information all.

I'm currently experiencing my second light with SGP.

If you do look at it I recommend installing a local Astrometry.net plate solver, I haven't had a failed plate solve yet but elbrus was hit and miss if your mount pointing isn't all that great, (learned that the first time I used it)

Things I have learned tonight:

- make sure you use PHD2, it doesn't seem to talk to PHD1 for me

- you need to start PHD and run the config before you run a sequence

- the frame and mosaic wizard is definitely worth the extra cash

- rotating your frame by 3 degrees by hand is hard!!

other than that, its awesome, I'm already looking at an Optec Pyxis Rotator and Lakeside Astro motor focuser.

Ouch my wallet!

Nick, I ordered the Lakeside focuser Friday from Ian King. Shall let you know how it does, though I'm expecting good things from it. I didn't quite appreciate the extent to which focal planes shift during a British night due to temperature fluctuations.

RE the frame and mosaic wizard: am I right in saying this only deals with creating mosaics - it doesn't offer any benefits for standard exposures?

Hi Matthew

The framing and mosaic wizard is mostly for mosaics yes, but you can also call up an image and see how it would fit in a single frame then rotate and centre it to your liking.

SGP will then match what  you see on screen, I have only used it for a mosaic once to capture andromeda in two frames. unfortunately i had my filters in the wheel mixed up so the data was pretty useless  :huh:

please do let me know about the focuser :)

Archived