Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gina's Mini Widefield Imaging Observatory

Gina

I have decided that the north side of the roof (on the left in the diagram) will be much the same as the south side with extended wheel mountings to allow for the lower running rail.  This allows me to place the batten flat against the plywood and save an angled edge for which I haven't really got good enough woodworking tools or skills.

post-13131-0-67008500-1412801236_thumb.j

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's one design I shall try for the north side wheel carriers.  I think it might be a bit on the light side regarding sideways strength but it will do to check the height anyway.

post-13131-0-38051400-1412858738_thumb.j

I really enjoyed your original observatory build Gina, but can't quite grasp what you are trying to do here?

I gather it's a 2nd observatory for widefield stuff, but can;t quite grasp the intended construction and how it will work.  

I'm also admiring all these 3D printer parts you are producing.

Carole 

I really enjoyed your original observatory build Gina, but can't quite grasp what you are trying to do here?

I gather it's a 2nd observatory for widefield stuff, but can;t quite grasp the intended construction and how it will work.  

I'm also admiring all these 3D printer parts you are producing.

Carole 

Thank you Carole :)

Yes, this is indeed a 2nd observatory for widefield.  Like my first obsy it's a wooden box with a roll off roof but this one doesn't include a warm room.  Also, this one is only just big enough to contain the pier, mount and widefield imaging rig plus electronics and dehumidifier, when the roof is closed.  The roof is supported on 1" diameter aluminium tubes which extend to the west enough to support the roof in the open position while allowing a good view to the west.

The base part consists of four 75mm square posts supported in fence post ground spikes and surrounded with a wooden frame and weatherboarding.  There will be a door in the north side for access.  Printed brackets support the aluminium tubes which are the running rails for the roof.  The pier is a Skywatcher Pillar Mount and sits on three concrete blocks.

The roof is an apex type constructed from 6mm plywood on a wooden framework with a solid west wall and open east end, the east wall being a flap on the base.  Printed wheels and mountings provide support for the roof and run on the round tubular running rails.  The roof will be covered in either rubber roofing or tarpaulin material.

I think that just about covers it but if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them :)

This is a screenshot from SketchUp that shows most of the construction.  The east end flap is not shown, nor the west end rail supports, pier supports, etc.

post-13131-0-78566600-1412874511_thumb.j

Thanks for that :)

Many thanks for that Gina, I now can see what you are doing, but I don't have a sense of scale.  

Carole 

I'll post the dimensions tomorrow and I could take a photo or two with a carpenters rule in the picture.  But you should get an idea from the photos already posted.

Not done a lot on this today but I have cut the aluminium tube in half to make the two ROR running rails.  These photos show the second rail roughly in position supported on a piece of wood.  Should be able to work out the dimensions of the other parts now :)

post-13131-0-39170400-1412960695_thumb.jpost-13131-0-26887800-1412960726_thumb.j

A bit more progress today :)  Designed mounting brackets for the north side running rail and changed a piece of wood on the framework to suit the mountings.  I needed a wider piece than I had on and an offcut floorboard from the main obsy filled the bill.  The tongue provided a convenient ridge to hold the mounting bracket at the top - I designed and printed the brackets to fit the profile of the floorboard.

post-13131-0-10300400-1413049024_thumb.jpost-13131-0-74895600-1413049028_thumb.jpost-13131-0-10893300-1413049011_thumb.jpost-13131-0-49231800-1413049017_thumb.j

post-13131-0-48727900-1413048984_thumb.jpost-13131-0-67110600-1413048992_thumb.jpost-13131-0-80757800-1413048998_thumb.jpost-13131-0-85863600-1413049005_thumb.j

Thank you Stu  :)  That is the position where the weight balances my widefield rig with the heaviest lenses so should be alright.  But if it does need more room I can lower the wood and extend the roof wheel brackets to compensate.   Or add the second weight.

Thank you Stu :) That is the position where the weight balances my widefield rig with the heaviest lenses so should be alright. But if it does need more room I can lower the wood and extend the roof wheel brackets to compensate. Or add the second weight.

I was more wondering how the wheel on that side is going to get past the weight where it is positioned now? Seems to be in the way or am I misinterpreting things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was more wondering how the wheel on that side is going to get past the weight where it is positioned now? Seems to be in the way or am I misinterpreting things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a working position showing the worst case for clearance, the mount will be parked with the weight to the east with the weight rod horizontal.  Post 10 on page 1 shows photos of the parked position.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome back Gina; funny how you miss an internet connection when you lose it;  just shows you how much it is part of our lives now.  BT are not the quickest when faults occur - my father in law had a problem that ran for near 6 weeks. He eventually left BT but, give them their due, their CEO replied personally to his letter of complaint.

Anyway back to more interesting matters, what progress have you made GIna, do you have your rig installed now?

Jim 

Thank you :)  It has been a bad time for me :(  Though I have progressed a couple of projects.

No progress to report on this one though - I've been concentrating on getting my main rig sorted out (I had power problems).  Also, most of the time the weather has not been suitable.  But today is better - so far - and I might do a bit to it.  No sign of any clear nights in the next few days!

Following on from my "where to put a second pier" thread here the topic has moved on so time for a new thread  :D

Having decided where to put the pier and what to use for the pier, the next stage is to provide a cover for the pier, the mount and the widefield imaging rig.  The design started off with a hinged roof box but has moved on to a mini observatory with a roll off roof for unattended or remote controlled imaging - via plastic storage boxes of various sorts.

The location is close to the southern boundary fence around 5-6 metres from my main observatory as shown in the attached photos.  View to the north and north-west is very restricted by the bungalow and trees behind on rising ground.  The view extends almost to the horizon from NE all the way round to the west :)

attachicon.giflocation 01.jpgattachicon.giflocation 02.jpgattachicon.giflocation 03.jpg

And this gives an idea of how the triple imaging rig will fit on the NEQ6 and SW pillar mount.

attachicon.gifImaging rig 01.jpg

Hi Gina,

Can I ask is the white tube on your new mount an 80mm, if so where can I source one from as I have the three leg attachments, but need the pipe, but must be 80mm diameter.

Thanks in advance

SS

Hi Gina,

Can I ask is the white tube on your new mount an 80mm, if so where can I source one from as I have the three leg attachments, but need the pipe, but must be 80mm diameter.

Thanks in advance

SS

The tube is around 100mm OD and is a SkyWatcher EQ6 Pillar Mount.

• 2 months later...

As mentioned in another thread, I have another idea for the roof.  The Avalon Merlino observatory inspired me :)  I'm considering a cylindrical roof or an approximation to it.

These photos of the widefield rig parked with the roof structure as an overlay show the principle.  ATM this is just an initial look at the idea - practicalities are another matter :D

post-13131-0-98101500-1420394060_thumb.jpost-13131-0-92603900-1420394546_thumb.j

One thing the above photos show is how big the NEQ6 mount is in comparison with the triple imaging unit.  I would like something more compact really :D

Should I resurrect my home made mount project I wonder :D

Archived