Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gina's Mini Widefield Imaging Observatory

Gina

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the that routers spec on Amazon I can't see any mention of the cutter shaft size, I see they also have three "used" ones probably returned by people expecting a 1/2" one.

Dave

Also note if using a template it needs to be thick enough to allow for the depth of the guide boss

Looking at the that routers spec on Amazon I can't see any mention of the cutter shaft size, I see they also have three "used" ones probably returned by people expecting a 1/2" one.

Dave

Also note if using a template it needs to be thick enough to allow for the depth of the guide boss

6mm..... :)

http://www.screwfix.com/p/trend-guide-bush-30mm/15543?kpid=15543&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&kpid=15543&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%20-%20Power%20Tools-_-Shopping%20-%20Power%20Tools&gclid=Cj0KEQiAuMOlBRDf6_izz93n-pEBEiQAsJCJWle5iunvpEPNK0W0McVqJbDFyrfXnSKftgOzcpGMQxAaAsRR8P8HAQ

Dave

Box Contains
  • 1 x Bosch POF 1400 ACE router
  • 1 x straight bit (8 mm diameter)
  • 1 x centering pin
  • 1 x template guide
  • 3 x collets - diameter inch 1/4, 6, 8
  • 1 x open-end spanner
  • 1 x parallel guide
  • 1 x dust extraction adapter
  • 1 x instruction manual
  • 1 x plastic carrying case

I know templates have to be thick enough - the book says so :D

Eats into the length of your cutters, 1/2" routers comes with different size collets, still can't see where it says what size cutter shaft it takes.

Dave

First piece cut out.  The jigsaw makes quite a mess asross the grain but I can put the bad side inside.  Just hoping the router will give a much better finish :D

BTW, I tried using a fence with the jigsaw but it just wanted to bend the blade.  I find I need to direct the jigsaw at a few degrees off straight.  Guess I could do with a "decent" jigsaw - as I recall this was a very cheap one.  Just wondering if a circular saw might be better - I can get that to go straight but it makes a great mess of plywood :(

post-13131-0-63918300-1420983726_thumb.j

I have a couple of jigsaws and trying to run along a fence just doesn't seem to work a skill saw is much better, for ply ect i have a Dewalt battery Skillsaw, and use a couple of the listed 50" clamps one either side of the saw so it can't wander, there very good for putting slots in 4' wide boards with a router.....

http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/p294422/CGS/50_Clamp_Guide_50in/product_info.html

I found the instructions for my jigsaw and it is supposed to have dust extraction so I printed an adapter.  Trouble is the hole through the jigsaw is very small and there is no cover around the front so the dust extraction just dosn't work - the dust is simply blown out to the front :(  I'll think anout buy ing something better meanwhile I've finished the rough cutting into pieces.

Skill saw with fine tooth blade is good and quick when cutting with the grain, the supplied blade is usually too coarse.

Mind you don't saw the table in half  :grin:

Dave

Some jig saws, like my De Walt, have a switch to direct the blower either at the blade to clear it, or out the extractor.

Skill saw with fine tooth blade is good and quick when cutting with the grain, the supplied blade is usually too coarse.

Mind you don't saw the table in half  :grin:

Dave

Some jig saws, like my De Walt, have a switch to direct the blower either at the blade to clear it, or out the extractor.

Thanks Dave :)  I have been very careful not to saw the table :D  Though I did catch the edge a little but - good job it's just an old table :D

I'll look into skill or jig saws later I expect :)

I think I might reverse one piece to give more spare.  Highlighted in blue in this sketch.  I guess I can divide the pairs with the jigsaw and maybe trim off some of the excess to reduce the amount to take off with the router.

post-13131-0-83707000-1420987670.jpg

This is what I'm thinking of for the drive for the roof opening/closing system.  The flange will be bolted to one of the roof sections and the axle driven by a motor and probably either chain & sprockets or timing belt & timing pulleys.  Haven't yet decided on the diameter of the axle - here a 20mm size is shown but this may change.  The flange is 80mm OD as that is what I designed the quadrants for.

post-13131-0-87023000-1420999424.jpg

I brought a Skillsaw Dec 2013 i have listed it, there is on the same ad a cheaper model that may suit you better, 100w less on the motor, i think 5mm on the blade size and no laser guiding which you won't want (i use it to cut 10' by 20" Oak boards) if you run down a straight edge its good value for money £89.95

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004EJYI1K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I just checked the invoice i paided £69.99 for the one list here, seems its got a bit dearer and not quite so much umpph.....:)

Archived