Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gina's Mini Widefield Imaging Observatory

Gina

A small tilt would be sufficient but I guess I wasn't thinking too clearly last night :D  There is a much more obvious answer to the problem - raise the roof a little :D  A bit of extra clearance is no bad thing.

I expected to use the 3D printer for things like brackets for astro stuff and special boxes with ready made holes and lugs in the right places but I think the usefullness and versatility has exceeded even my expectations :)  In conjunction with SketchUp I have an ideal prototyping and production tool.  Not really that expensive compared with telescopes, cameras and mounts :D

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been out, unwrapped the mount and checked the spacing and there is room for the rail between the dome and the cross piece so I can move it down a bit.  So more redesigning coming up :D  Of course, I expect this.

post-13131-0-02183300-1412595441_thumb.j

Clearly a print like the above would have used lots of filament so I've strived to reduce the volume while retaining strength.  So here's a peculiarly shaped wheel carrier :D

post-13131-0-65689300-1412626054.jpgpost-13131-0-65370600-1412626184.jpg

Printed this out - took about 40g filament (40p worth) and just over an hour and a half.  It is extremely strong and would probably easily carry a full sized obsy roof :D  Photo tomorrow :)  Think I'll design lighter ones for the other three.

Gina most of us here are or think that we are reasonable at diy as it's part and parcel of our passion.

Your projects and design combined with the variety of your skills and equipment are almost unimaginable to me at times and I can't help but chuckle in amazement sometimes.

I shall not say "keep up the good work" as nobody is going to stop you anyway.

Brilliant!! :grin:

Gina most of us here are or think that we are reasonable at diy as it's part and parcel of our passion.

Your projects and design combined with the variety of your skills and equipment are almost unimaginable to me at times and I can't help but chuckle in amazement sometimes.

I shall not say "keep up the good work" as nobody is going to stop you anyway.

Brilliant!! :grin:

Thank you very much :)

I have cut down the south corner posts and mounted the rail support pieces.  On checking with a roof panel and batten, the rail height seems to be about right :)

Here's a couple of photos.  I haven't taken one showing the way the roof parts fit as I haven't got enough hands to hold everything :D

post-13131-0-14846200-1412705292_thumb.jpost-13131-0-27331600-1412705312_thumb.j

Gina your widefield setup is infectious.

I have dug a hole for my concrete pier wher i will use 2disk brakes as a pier head to place my eq6 for widefiel imaging using my ed80 and canon 600

Picture of our firs sprinkle of snow.

post-19057-141278251584_thumb.jpgpost-19057-14127825298_thumb.jpgpost-19057-141278254637_thumb.jpg

Archived