Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Total NOOB Getting Started with an EOS DSLR

RichM63

I've trawled the forum, every section to do with imaging, but couldn't find a Sticky that would help a total noob to 'release the shutter' for the first time. I mean very basic instructions.

However after spending hours on the Net, frustrated back n forth I found this excellent BASIC beginners guide on Astrophotography-tonight.

It answers pretty much all of the questions concerning how to simply go for that first shot, with an EOS + EOS Utility connected and ON. + It explains some basic stacking and processing workflow.

Evidently not aimed at the experienced, but for a NOOB, I thought that it was brilliant.

I see that many people use BYE, but my 700D came with various softwares that include EOS Utility + other processing software capable of using and processing RAW files. (new purchase, all software etc registered).

My question, is BYE used when someone maybe has a S/H EOS and doesn't have the supplied software from a new camera, or is there an advantage for using BYE rather than Canon EOS Utilities?

Hit the link, if you, like me, are a confused NOOB at AP.

Cheers,

Rich

i only ever used the eos utility program with my 1100d and it worked great full control over a single usb and exposures up to 999 mins although i would'nt go that long i have taken 20 min exposures with it.if you dont have a filter wheel or motor focuser then you dont realy need BYE.

If you don't want to use a Laptop then a remote control will do the same job as software already mentioned......multipe exposures, shutter timer up to 99 Hours, interval before and between exposures....the 2 AAA batteries last 6 months or more if left turned on, i use rechargeables...:)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ramozz-intervalometer-remote-shutter-Camera/dp/B00C1C0WQC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1410467242&sr=8-3&keywords=700D+remote+control

but if you want to take 20 60 second subs then 20 120 second subs  then 300 second subs at different iso speeds then you will need BYE so you can go and have a lie down and come back when its done  :smiley:

woke up at 5:30 this morning with PHD going Ding, Ding, Ding due to cloud

had fell asleep running 20 x 300s subs started at 3:30 :(

Cheers, I may graduate to APT or BYE, but as a total NOOB I needed something that would help me fire off that first ever shot. Both myself and the camera are at absolute zero for shots taken so just getting something onto disc will be an acheivement in itself.

Software to master for a first image;

EOS Utility;

PHD2;

EQMOD;

CdC;

DPP; for RAW files

DSS:

Registax6, planetary wavelets;

GIMP, post processing, layers, colours etc.

Not to mention, reading all the image data settings that the great folk on here have used for capture when composing.

And of course the 400 page 700D manual before I even point it at anything.

It's quite a bit to take in at one hit.;)

No doubt I'll be onto APT and BYE next week!

(re the remote, yes, one is on my list and will be purchased, but I have to use a laptop whether or not, EQMOD, AstroEQ, CdC even for visual).

There's nothing like jumping in at the deep end, i would suggest for a couple of weeks just use the Mount and Scope with good Polar Alignmnent to do 30 second exposure, ISO @ 800 if your Remote arrives extend the time until you get star trailing, doing this will speed up your imagining due to less setting up time and getting use to the DSLR, the long winded laptop and software can on occasions take a hour or more before you get to press the fire button and doesn't always work straight out of the box, Good luck it will al come together one day but i doubt this will be day one or two....:)

Be aware that if you use gimp to post process you will lose a lot of data converting to 8bit. You really need something to process in 16 bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Use Gimp 2.9 -- it's pretty stable despite being called beta still (I've not had a single issue with it yet) and it supports 16bit.  Oh and still free ;-)

That's a lot to get your head around just learning to use half that lot took ages. I would suggest breaking it down a bit start using backyard eos or apt first then move on to the others and keep a detailed note book that will prove to be a smart move. Have a read of my blog as well see if that helps you out. Best advice I can offer is take your time and stick to one subject master it then move on to the next. Oh yes and above all have fun.

smart move.

Very kind thank you :-) Just hope what I have learned is helpful to others I only recently got my new canon 1000d nodded and with longer exposures an iso of 400 is better but before that with my modded canon 350d it was short sub's of 55-80 sec and an iso of 800 or mostly 1600 that won the day. Without any doubt processing of the image data is the hard part and take e longest to master. All good fun though.

Believe me QM I have been reading your blog, watched hours of tutorial boodlewoodle videos etc.

I'm fairly good at eventually working things out, especially when there are a few hints and tips and how to's around the place.

This is all about 'fun', and personal satisfaction + I like a challenge.

Anyhow, you started it all when you sold me that pair of motors, everything went down hill from there! LOL ;)

Archived