NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is this the future of Video Astronomy?

RobertI

For that completely immersive, "just stepped up to the eyepiece" experience, how about connecting your video astronomy setup to a pair of High Definition goggles? No extraneous light, all the advantages of binocular vision, and you can be observing at the same time as having dinner with the family. :grin:

post-17401-0-79739900-1410365954.jpg

Probably - when power consumption/recharging problems are sorted. But then maybe mirrors will be replaced by ,for the masses, multi array camera's with immediate stacking/processing. On both don't hold your breathe - plus is flying the same if you never leave the ground (e.g. drones) - yes you can fly a plane but you miss the sensations of being there. Takes all sorts

Tongue in cheek maybe, but I can totally see that working. VA doesn't float my boat because I don't have that feeling of connection I get when looking through an eyepiece but a scope with a camera and processing built in and you just plug a set of high def VR goggles in to the mount and that would be great.

Well the idea came up in a humorous conversation with a friend who has a pair of these goggle for POV remote control of his model quad-copter, but perhaps it's not so daft after all. I think it would only work if there was a way of getting 'full screen view'. It will probably be standard way of viewing in twenty years time.......

Or go with an image intensifier, you can get "binocular" ones (split signal from one tube). There was one such system available in the US for a while. Not that you see colour or can reach quite so deep.... But it's live and you have the eye to eyepiece feel.

Each to their own!

PEterW

Psychobilly, add a red filter to help with LP, loads I stars and blows globulars into piles if little twinkles. Add a narrow halpha filter to bring on the nebulae.... California, heart, soul, pack an, North America, pelican, Barnard loop etc etc. if the filter kills things then either your skies lack transparency (common for me) or your system hasn't got enough oomph.

All the best

PEterW

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it is so much tongue in cheek.

I believe these type of glasses will have a huge use.

Think about it for a minute. What are the commonly known advantages of Video Astronomy?

Yeah, number 1 is usually because we want instant gratification.

Numbers 2, 3, 4 etc are usually answers like: 'so those with poor eyesight can see objects', 'Wheelchair-bound folks that can't get up to an eyepiece can see objects', etc.

Can you imagine someone with poor eyesight wearing these and suddenly seeing fantastic nebulae in full colour right in front of their eyes!

Don't forget, with Analogue cameras you can plug in a 100 or more monitors into one camera if you want to, and at the same time adjust the camera by computer.

These glasses would get well used at outreach events.

Have the Computer showing the image on the PC monitor for adjustments, AND project from the PC through a projector onto a wall, AND at the same time you can display on several large TV's spread around a room or public area,  AND let people wear the glasses. ALL at the same time. They have a use, and a very good use!

I'd try them and probably use them when not doing public displays or broadcasting. Be better then sitting looking at a computer monitor all the time. I could put them on and lay back comfortable and enjoy the show  :grin:

They remind me of an idea I had for a "wireless eyepiece". This looks exactly like a normal eyepiece, but connects to the internet and actually shows a picture of the part of the sky where the telescope is pointing - that way, you never need to worry about clouds at all! It's also much quicker that painting stars on the inside of the obsy dome with fluorescent paint...

P

I agree with Ken this is definitely not tongue and cheek and others are doing it and raving about too.  I looked at this myself a while back and still plan to do something in the future.  This is the kind of thing that may work http://www.oculus.com/  

I love the idea of M42 in 3D and with the feeling of total immersion :)  

They remind me of an idea I had for a "wireless eyepiece". This looks exactly like a normal eyepiece, but connects to the internet and actually shows a picture of the part of the sky where the telescope is pointing - that way, you never need to worry about clouds at all! It's also much quicker that painting stars on the inside of the obsy dome with fluorescent paint...

P

Hello P,

Off topic but do you have any info on your observatory?  I am looking into something similar with a sliding skylight window.

Cheers

Karl

Archived