Andromeda Galaxy

Hi, well I am new to astronomy and having had a good view of Saturn a while back with my new telescope (DOB 8" Skywatcher) it made everything worthwhile,  I have been waiting for decent skies in order to have a look at the 'Fuzzy patch' Andromeda M31 Galaxy, I set myself a target of learning the circumpolar constellations firstly and seem to be doing ok in dark sky observation on these patterns. 

The last couple of nights I have drifted away in order to locate the above mentioned Galaxy but despite efforts with both my 10x50 and 20x70 binoculars and 8" DOB with wide angle lens I cant see it as yet, ok I realise that with time and patience I will find it eventually but has anyone any advice on locating it please,  I followed the line of  star recommended in Cassiopeia but still missing it.!!  

Hiya elrico.

As you say yourself, with time and patience you'll get it. However, one thing I've found when star hoping, is that, through the eyepiece, it's always further than you think ... I've lost track of the times I've thought 'damn, must have passed it!' only to keep going and find whatever it was I was looking for. 

Also, viewing conditions play a large part in how easy the galaxy is to find. Being a diffuse, fuzzy grey cloud, it won't show up very well if there's hazy clouds in the atmosphere.

You'll know it when you see it!

Kev.

I find it easier to use Mirach (below M31 & Cass) in Andromeda - just go up about 8 or so degrees, on a diagonal slant right (not too good at being technical in my descriptions, sorry!)...best use a widefield ep first, or even better, binoculars to locate. You should see a grey, misty ovoid. That's next door that is! Even with the moon last night I could still make it out with binoculars.....took me ages at first also, so don't give up!

Below Mirach on almost the same line is M33, but I haven't managed that yet!

Enjoy the search!

Steve

As Ronin says, once you've seen it once, you'll find it easily every other time. 

Use your bins, follow the stars in the diagram that was posted, and look. 

If you have dark skyies you should be able to see it as a slightly fuzzy point of light. If not, just follow the stars you can see. 

I found it tricky at first but now after much practice can put my 8x42 bins right on it nearly every time. 

I use the route from Mirach and slowly move up. 

As has already been said you will have more luck when the moon gets out of the way.

Good luck.

Hi, thanks to you all, yes the moon was quite bright in fact come to think very bright last night (7th Sept), I will take on board everything and let you know when I do find it !!, just looking out now few high clouds over Ossett West Yorkshire but fingers crossed it may clear up a bit more tonight later on.

Just in passing, I didn't realise how many satellites there are flying about up there !!!!!!

Again I really do appreciate all the advice.

Eric (elrico)   

This won't help you in the slightest, but right now, exit the front door at around midnight, turn left/virtually due East, spot the barn owl sitting on the electricity pole in the adjacent field, and then look up.

Andromeda, is a tad to the left of its beak. :)

(it sits there every night, but during the day it is a buzzard perch).

Lol the barn owl has been extinct in Ossett since 1950, apparently they didn't realise sitting on electricity pylons was not very good for their health, however the local pop did enjoy some good Sunday Lunches at the time!!!!!!!!!.

I'd be lost wihtout my red dot finders. I have a little one that came with my frac and this I got for my Newt. It's great:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/baader-30mm-sky-surfer-iii.html

Others swear by a Telrad or Rigel finder but I find them awkward to use.

These help you point at the correct part of the sky when they're properly aligned to your scope, which you can do during the day.

Alexxx

one good way to find m31 is to use a finder or binos to locate it first. You also do need dark skies and a full moon is more light pollution than you easily realise. Also you should look for a small fuzzy patch. nothing more. Even though the galaxy is huge, you will at first probably only see the core, and more only if you are in a really dark site. 

We all know there's a book called "Turn Left At Orion". Its a bit of a "bible" for astronomers and a great road map/sky map to get us to where we want to go. I'm thinking there should be a similar book available called "Turn Right At Cassiopeia". For me personally, Cassie is the 2nd most distinguished constellation in the night sky and as recognisable as Orion. Why not have a book dedicated to it and finding your way around from there.

Mind you, Leo is also a dead certain in the night sky when available. 

So, Turn Left @ Orion for the Autumn/winter, and Turn Left  @ another constellation for the Spring/Summer.

....like others have already suggested, I too use Cassiopeia as my guiding Stars, using the  right half ( The 'V') which points to Mirach, the next brightest Star  I see in that part of the sky?  then from Mirach, just move back  a notch. I find this the easiest way when using the 8" Dob.

GET TO A VERY DARK SITE, THE RESULT WILL AMAZE YOU otherwise you'll just see a small fuzzy patch!

Got home about midnight and thought I'd see if I could spot Andromeda in the light-polluted sky. Naked eye was no good but I easily found it with a pair of binoculars, just by following the pointer from Cassiopeia.

Wish I'd had time to set the scope up.

.........Glad you found it. And you're probably thinking, "was that it?"  Plan somehow to get your binoculars/telescope to a darker site. You`ll think you have a different scope under the right conditions? M31 really does no justice to itself when  observed from a light polluted source. M31 is one of the largest objects up there. Our eyes don't see its vastness,  unless you loose the light pollution. The last time I viewed from a dark site, my 25mm EP wasn't wide enough,?hence now owning the 32mm panaview! 

Again thanks to all for the good info, 22/9/14 good sky at 1030pm located M31 at last, actually located Mirach easily then just found M31 from there with my 8x30 binoculars and later with my telescope. I drifted around a little and returned to find it easily again, no doubt the good dark sky was the answer yes. 

Just to prove a point for myself I also located the Galaxy using Cassiopeia as a guide, again thanks to all.  

Again thanks to all for the good info, 22/9/14 good sky at 1030pm located M31 at last, actually located Mirach easily then just found M31 from there with my 8x30 binoculars and later with my telescope. I drifted around a little and returned to find it easily again, no doubt the good dark sky was the answer yes. 

Just to prove a point for myself I also located the Galaxy using Cassiopeia as a guide, again thanks to all.  

It really helps to find objects with your bins first, well done.

Archived