NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Milky Way over Ribblehead Viaduct

Thanks all, glad you like it. :smiley:

Very nice! What is Your setup and settings ?

Canon 6d, Samyang 14mm lens wide open at f2.8, just a single frame at ISO3200, Vixen Polarie tracker at half sidereal rate. The issue with this sort of shot is balancing avoiding star trailing against avoiding blurring the foreground. I got the 6d especially for its low noise at high ISO so I can keep exposure length short. Although I used a tracking mount for this one I probably didn't need it for such a short exposure using a short focal length lens.

I think the car headlights lighting up the viaduct make all the difference with this shot compared to others I did. Here's another one just lit with a head torch. Framing not as good either.

post-22965-0-53166000-1410116815_thumb.j

The LP is coming from where I live as well :smiley: On dark sky maps the area around Ribblehead is shown as good and dark, and it is overhead. The LP on these shots is coming from at least 25 miles to the south - Preston, Blackburn etc., and maybe even 50 miles away from Greater Manchester. Maybe humidity or dust in the air have some effect on how far away the LP is visible. From this it looks like to get an LP-free wide field shot of the MW down to Sagittarius you need to make sure there are no large towns in that direction for 50 miles or more.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks all :-)

Lovely photo.

Now all you need is the cumbria mountain express going over the viaduct

Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos!

There you go Kev - I aim to please! Afraid it wouldn't stay still for me though!

post-22965-0-79505700-1413152956_thumb.j

Archived