Advice for a newbie -

Mohammed

Hi everybody,

I am a newbie to astronomy and was inspired, along with my 11 year old son, to start looking into the cosmos after the recent "bright moon".

Given that most people on this forum seem very experienced, could you please give advice on which of the following I should purchase?

I didn't want to but a telescope with a smaller aperture because this is something that I think my son and I will enjoy for time.

1) Revelation 12" F/5 M-CRF Premium Dobsonian (http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation-12---F-5-M-CRF-Premium-Dobsonian--White--1.html) and use my mobile phone as a push-to navigator (installed the SKEye - Android App - (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lavadip.skeye&hl=en_GB).

Cost = £550

2) Orion SkyQuest XT10 Classic 8946, which is obviously 10" (http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-skyquest-xt10-classic.htm) and use my mobile phone as a push-to navigator (installed the SKEye - Android App - (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lavadip.skeye&hl=en_GB).

Cost = £480

3) Purchase the push-to  Orion SkyQuest XT10 IntelliScope 10019 (http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-skyquest-xt10-intelliscope.htm). Also why is this third telescope described as "The Industry's Best 10" Dob"? Cost = 609

Are there any dependable sources to obtain Discount Voucher Codes to save money of the price of the telescopes, and maybe other reliable telescope outlets?

Your advice and tips on essential resources that I should be reading up would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, :rolleyes:

Finding this one difficult to answer in any way.

First - which one do you want to get for whatever unknown reason?

If you are drawn to one more then another even if you have no idea why then get that one.

I know crazy answer but it is an option and I usually find a good option.

Next:

Orion tend to buy in bits or scopes and stick their name on them.

Usually they buy in Synta items, which is Skywatcher, so the 10" XT10 will be similar to the Skywatcher 10" dobsonian which is £45 less.

The Intelliscope never seems to have caught on and I think Orion are the only maker of such an item. It is sort of half way between a manual one and a goto. I suspect it has ended up as more costly then a manual and less functionality then a goto, whereas Orion likely were hoping for more functionaluity then a manual and less cost then a goto. If something goes wrong on an Orion then getting replacements can be trouble. They will only sell to the initial purchaser and you will likely have to provide proof of purchase. They do have a real bad reputation for this aspect.

The 12" Revelation is simply a 12" Dobsonian. The Skywatcher match is £6 difference in cost.

One "concern" is that you and your son intend to use it, when you swap positions at the eyepiece then any movement of the tube is likely to move the object being viewed out of view. Can get infuriating. If you ever want a lesson in patience look after a dobsonian at a public event with children wanting to look through it.

Other aspects: You will want some eyepieces almost immediatly. Sorry but that is the truth of the situation so expect to buy 2 or 3 more pretty soon, and I would expect 4 to have a half decent selection. All the scopes are "fast" so budget plossl's will not do the job. You are likely looking at the BST Starguiders which are £49 each, so 4 of them is £200 additional, if you went for them then 5mm, 8mm, 15mm, 25mm. Next (and very similar) are the Celestron X-Cels (£64 each). I mention only sets as within a set the eyepieces tend to be parfocal = less adjustment of the focuser when changing eyepieces. Sound minor but is very useful.

You will need a collimator, the scope is fast so will require recollimating periodically, these are around £25-30.

Finally you may want to get a coma corrector to improve the images of the stars at the edge's.

So you can see that the scope is the start of the expense and not the end.

Why is the 10" Intelliscope the "best Dobsonian", no idea, very likely they paid for that to be said. The alternative being "You say it and you can keep that demonstration one we sent you." Yes I am a synical B******.

Birmingham is a big area, have a look at http://fedastro.org.uk/fas/members/ and see if any clubs are close to you in the West Midlands entries. If you visit one or more look at what is being used and why. At a club near to me 80% of the scopes are 5 and 6 inch Mak/SCT goto's.

Alternative retailers: FLO at the top of this site, Sherwood Photographis at

HENLEY-IN-ARDEN
Warwickshire
B95 6HW  http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/

Others are Rother Valley Optics and also Green Witch at Leeds.

Finally: If you have any intention of photographing what you see do not get a dobsonian. They simply are not the instrument for the purpose. This is not a case of they do it not too well they are just not right. None of the ones you have given will do it. So if the idea is to get used to finding and seeing things and knowing what is up there, then after 6 months start to get images get a different scope and different mount now.

Finding this one difficult to answer in any way.

First - which one do you want to get for whatever unknown reason?

If you are drawn to one more then another even if you have no idea why then get that one.

I know crazy answer but it is an option and I usually find a good option.

Next:

Orion tend to buy in bits or scopes and stick their name on them.

Usually they buy in Synta items, which is Skywatcher, so the 10" XT10 will be similar to the Skywatcher 10" dobsonian which is £45 less.

The Intelliscope never seems to have caught on and I think Orion are the only maker of such an item. It is sort of half way between a manual one and a goto. I suspect it has ended up as more costly then a manual and less functionality then a goto, whereas Orion likely were hoping for more functionaluity then a manual and less cost then a goto. If something goes wrong on an Orion then getting replacements can be trouble. They will only sell to the initial purchaser and you will likely have to provide proof of purchase. They do have a real bad reputation for this aspect.

The 12" Revelation is simply a 12" Dobsonian. The Skywatcher match is £6 difference in cost.

One "concern" is that you and your son intend to use it, when you swap positions at the eyepiece then any movement of the tube is likely to move the object being viewed out of view. Can get infuriating. If you ever want a lesson in patience look after a dobsonian at a public event with children wanting to look through it.

Other aspects: You will want some eyepieces almost immediatly. Sorry but that is the truth of the situation so expect to buy 2 or 3 more pretty soon, and I would expect 4 to have a half decent selection. All the scopes are "fast" so budget plossl's will not do the job. You are likely looking at the BST Starguiders which are £49 each, so 4 of them is £200 additional, if you went for them then 5mm, 8mm, 15mm, 25mm. Next (and very similar) are the Celestron X-Cels (£64 each). I mention only sets as within a set the eyepieces tend to be parfocal = less adjustment of the focuser when changing eyepieces. Sound minor but is very useful.

You will need a collimator, the scope is fast so will require recollimating periodically, these are around £25-30.

Finally you may want to get a coma corrector to improve the images of the stars at the edge's.

So you can see that the scope is the start of the expense and not the end.

Why is the 10" Intelliscope the "best Dobsonian", no idea, very likely they paid for that to be said. The alternative being "You say it and you can keep that demonstration one we sent you." Yes I am a synical B******.

Birmingham is a big area, have a look at http://fedastro.org.uk/fas/members/ and see if any clubs are close to you in the West Midlands entries. If you visit one or more look at what is being used and why. At a club near to me 80% of the scopes are 5 and 6 inch Mak/SCT goto's.

Alternative retailers: FLO at the top of this site, Sherwood Photographis at

HENLEY-IN-ARDEN

Warwickshire

B95 6HW  http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/

Others are Rother Valley Optics and also Green Witch at Leeds.

Finally: If you have any intention of photographing what you see do not get a dobsonian. They simply are not the instrument for the purpose. This is not a case of they do it not too well they are just not right. None of the ones you have given will do it. So if the idea is to get used to finding and seeing things and knowing what is up there, then after 6 months start to get images get a different scope and different mount now.

Thank you very much for your kind advice and guidance. Very much appreciated :laugh:

Never even seen a Revelation here in South Africa, but seen many posts here saying they are good scopes, other members can shed light on this:

My 2cents:

Rev:

+ 12" = more light

+ 10:1 Focuser for finer tuning

+ 2 eyepieces (but as ronin said, more will have to follow)

- Slightly heavier to move

Orion:

+ Easier to move

- Doesn't seem to have dual speed focuser

- Only 1 eyepiece

- I think the EZ Finder will need to be replaced sometime

- The Mobile app sometimes (when I've used gets mixed up, when I align to multiple stars: will have same issue with Rev)

Only for Intelliscope: 

+ I have seen videos and read the Push To feature is very very good, much better than a phone can do.

+ Very easy to align, if I remember you just have to enter location and point it directly up (can be on a slight hill even)

Mohammed, might be worth posting your question over on the beginners equipment sections as not everyone visits this part of the forum and we want you to receive as much help as possible!  :smiley:

Clear skies my friend

James

Hi Mohammed and welcome to SGL, some very sound advice already given. An Astronomical event seems to encourage newcomers into the hobby, to spend a quite large amount of money, that in some cases they later regret. If you are sure you want to go down this path, all well and good, but these are large scopes, which many experienced Astronomers end up with, after starting in earlier years with more modest instruments. Even the late Sir Patrick Moore recommended easing yourself into the subject by purchasing a modest pair of binoculars. There is no wish to put any dampeners on your enthusiasm, but do take a little more time in researching the matter and taking advice from the membership, until you are completely satisfied that you are taking the right course of action, enjoy :)

Hi, Mohammed, and a warm welcome to SGL - and to worlds of amateur astronomy! Some very good advice has already been given by far more learned people than me! I would, however, particularly recommend 'Glowjet's advice to research the telescopes you are buying, and to perhaps join a group or at least  speak directly to a supplier regarding the scopes you are interested in. It is not only the cost, but also the size of the scopes that has to be taken into consideration. Whatever you decide, I hope you and your son enjoy your first steps in this fascinating hobby.

Martin

Welcome to SGL.  I did post on your other thread about the revelation (I want one but can't get one for love nor money it seems!).  But, I wanted to add that I'll probably be going to the Widescreen Centre in London next week to take a look at the Intelliscope https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/Products/ORION_USA_SKYQUEST_XT10i_.html so if there's anything specific you'd like e.g. photos of then let me know and I'll be happy to take them.

-simon

Hi Mohammed, you've been given some amazing advice already.

Take your time considering your options, review what's availble from the online retailers and look for reviews about the scopes you find.

Consider your mounting options: do you want the classic alt-azimuth, the German Equatorial or the popular Dobsonian.

Will you be interested in taking pictures of what you see in the telescope; this is a slippery slope that will get expensive - more so if you start out with the wrong equipment.

Binoculars maybe a good temporary measure till you've considered your options more carefully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived