Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Travel Scope 70 or Mercury 607?

Hi,

I'm looking for my first telescope, I'm trying to decide between the Celestron Travel Scope 70, and the Skywatcher Mercury 607 (or possibly 707). I've heard that the tripod can be a little wobbly, but I've got nice flat paving in my garden, and as I'm mid terrace get very little wind, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The Travel Scope 70 is the cheapest of the 3, but it also has a much shorter focal length (I think). So I'm curious as to which people would chose. I know that a lot of people will say get binoculars, or spend over £100 but neither is going to happen because I can’t afford to go higher, and my inner child is demanding a telescope...

So, which should I chose? Or which would YOU chose?

Thanks! :)

Hi and welcome.

You're right in that many people here will suggest binoculars instead but given the option of only one of those I would definitely opt for the Travel Scope 70 being the fastest it will be the easiest to use for a beginner, you won't be asking as much of the optics which at this price point is probably wise, and I've seen good reports on the build.

Mercury 705 looks good in that price range, as do the tabletop Dobs. Check these out:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes.html

I have the travelscope 70 as a guide scope for my C8. The tripod is practically useless. Even in its collapsed state it is very wobbly. The pan and tilt is very stiff and jerky, so trying to following something like the Moon is next to impossible at high magnifications especially if you have it fully extended.

Also there is quite a bit of chromatic aberration - where the colours don't all focus at the same point so you get colour fringing around objects.

Mercury 707. Bit longer focal ratio making it gentler on eyepieces, should have a bit less chromatic aberration than the Celestron and it's tripod is vastly superior. Do not even for a moment think that you can use the tripod that comes with the Celestron!!!

As a travel scope I have purchased the Skywatcher startravel 80 table top telescope. For around £100 its a fab bit of kit.

To be honest over the past 6 months it has been my main grab and go scope. It comes in a nice carry case and the bag is big enough for all the other accessories you would want to take with you.

But if you are mainly home observing then the az3 or eq1 might be better tripods for you as more sturdy and don't need a table.

Have a hunt and see which is the best combination price for you.

I also intend to also use my az3 with my camera.

I have an st80 as well as a mercury 705 and if I had to choose I put it just ahead of the mercury as for me I did want portable and st80 is slightly smaller/shorter and bigger aperature just.

The mercury 607 is too small an aperature I would not go for that one.

There might be less ca on the 707 then the 705 but the tripod is not as good.

Archived