Hello from Florida

Beauwulf

Just getting started with a telescope and leaning toward astro photography (I am a fairly accomplished teresteral photographer). I have a Celestron 102 SLT on the way with a few other goodies to set up for DSLR capture. I'll be using a Nikon D5300 and a D7100 for prime focus use.

Anyone with tips for this particular scope, please sound off,  I'm sure I'll need some help with the pitfalls and best practices so I get off on the right foot.

Thanks

'Wulf

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Beauwulf & Welcome to SGL. I can't give you advice don't have the same scope.  You should also post in the Beginners section, more people would see it there & for specific AP questions the Imaging section.

Greetings Beauwulf - Nothing like having new equipment on the way. Of course you should expect some cloudy weather to move in on the day it arrives - or at least that's what they say...

Good luck with your new scope and I hope you have clear skies to try it out!!!

Greetings Beauwulf - Nothing like having new equipment on the way. Of course you should expect some cloudy weather to move in on the day it arrives - or at least that's what they say...

Good luck with your new scope and I hope you have clear skies to try it out!!!

Thanks M8! One thing you can count on in Florida in the summer is an afternoon thunderstorm... but, that also means that it's usually done and gone by dark! hehe!

Hi and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and hope that you enjoy your time here. As an imager, specifically DSO imaging, I can recommend wholeheartedly the book 'Making Every Photon Count' - It is an imagers bible and will really get you on your way. You want to be using a good solid EQ mount and working towards long exposures, many minutes in fact. Steve's book explains much of it.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Welcome to SGL. I've just returned from Orlando. No chance of seeing anything but the brightest objects there due to light pollution and cloud. I hope you are better situated! Regarding imaging with astro gear it's a steep learning curve. As Sara said read up first and you'll see that pretty much the most important item is your EQ mount.

Hi and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and hope that you enjoy your time here. As an imager, specifically DSO imaging, I can recommend wholeheartedly the book 'Making Every Photon Count' - It is an imagers bible and will really get you on your way. You want to be using a good solid EQ mount and working towards long exposures, many minutes in fact. Steve's book explains much of it.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Thank you Sara... I looked at your flickr page... really nice captures!

Hi Dana.. I do watch the occasional Marlins game on the tube but I'm a motorsports fan (and photographer) by nature...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96253236@N07/page7/

Some nice pics you have there!

Motorsports are cool, too! NASCAR is my second most missed thing about the States.

I drive past McLaren's HQ everytime I go to work. Quite often see a couple getting a test drive down the A320.

I drive a 1996 Mitsubishi FTO. Great car, but never sold in the States.

post-3563-0-13027600-1406031017_thumb.jp

2L V6 24V DOHC 170hp @ 7500rpm

Dana

Some nice pics you have there!

Motorsports are cool, too! NASCAR is my second most missed thing about the States.

I drive past McLaren's HQ everytime I go to work. Quite often see a couple getting a test drive down the A320.

I drive a 1996 Mitsubishi FTO. Great car, but never sold in the States.

attachicon.gifIMGP2531.JPG

2L V6 24V DOHC 170hp @ 7500rpm

Dana

Very nice! I recently got rid of an Acura RSX type S and currently have a '10 Corvette GS w/500HP

394613.jpg

Archived