NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Disassembling an AZ EQ6 GT?

Mark_C

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In pecprep I could see the error aligned up with the worm cycle, so I am pretty sure it had something to do with the worm.

I cleaned all parts, replaced the worm bearings, and switched the RA worm with the DEC worm.

• 2 months later...

In pecprep I could see the error aligned up with the worm cycle, so I am pretty sure it had something to do with the worm.

I cleaned all parts, replaced the worm bearings, and switched the RA worm with the DEC worm.

I had exactly this problem, on the 8 minute worm cycle. So I concluded an eccentric worm or big swarf in there somewhere. I just spoke to the retailer and they replaced the mount after I ran Synta's test protocol to prove the fact. The replacement has no such issue so I am much happier. It is not acceptable to have such issues on new products. The more Synta hear that directly or via warranty claims the better their QC should get. I don't see the advantage of going in blind whilst comeback remains a justifiable option. The mount is way better than my original HEQ5 pro in its ease of use and construction but then maybe I have learnt how to deal efficiently with Synta's idiosyncrasies. Edited by Owmuchonomy

• 3 months later...

sorry to revive this old thread, but i wondered if there are any guides yet?

I just recently got an AZ-Eq6 and had movement in RA and Dec, so that i could rock both axis a little bit back and forth..

I did read this thread multiple times and i also check out the guide at astro-baby for the eq6 for help.

The DEC movement i could get out by adjusting the two torx screws, however with RA seemed much more difficult.. It was either rocking, or there was binding. After loosening up the worm-gear (behind the black cover) a bit, it seemed to adjust a bit better, but I'm somehow still not really happy with it.

I need to wait for clear skies, so i can test how it's performing now, but i'm thinking of taking it apart for cleaning and then re-greasing and for this a write-up would come in pretty handy.

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 10:35, cdh79 said:

sorry to revive this old thread, but i wondered if there are any guides yet?

I just recently got an AZ-Eq6 and had movement in RA and Dec, so that i could rock both axis a little bit back and forth..

I did read this thread multiple times and i also check out the guide at astro-baby for the eq6 for help.

The DEC movement i could get out by adjusting the two torx screws, however with RA seemed much more difficult.. It was either rocking, or there was binding. After loosening up the worm-gear (behind the black cover) a bit, it seemed to adjust a bit better, but I'm somehow still not really happy with it.

I need to wait for clear skies, so i can test how it's performing now, but i'm thinking of taking it apart for cleaning and then re-greasing and for this a write-up would come in pretty handy.

yes that would be handy having some sort of guide

There have been a few people saying they would but as of

yet I have not seen any thing,

Even a written one would do for the slightly less experienced of us

Just a thought have you adjusted the worm gears at all, as slacking them up

can resort in a smoother operation as sometimes just adjusting how far the worm

drive goes into the main shaft drive can make it bind on one side of the worm if that makes sense

ideally you want it in the middle ( the v in the worm ) It might be worth checking that its

mot binding

13 hours ago, ultranova said:

yes that would be handy having some sort of guide

There have been a few people saying they would but as of

yet I have not seen any thing,

Even a written one would do for the slightly less experienced of us

Just a thought have you adjusted the worm gears at all, as slacking them up

can resort in a smoother operation as sometimes just adjusting how far the worm

drive goes into the main shaft drive can make it bind on one side of the worm if that makes sense

ideally you want it in the middle ( the v in the worm ) It might be worth checking that its

mot binding

i wasn't aware that you can actually adjust the worm gear (that's the big gear around the main shaft)?

or are you thinking about moving the worm sideways by adjusting the circlip nut on the side?

i thought tightening/loosening this would only adjust how tight the bearing sit on the small shaft with the worm (but i might be wrong here)

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Thanks a bunch david_taurus83, also Phil Brewer on CN.....

Great guide indeed.  Can now attempt a service on my AZ-EQ6, with modicum of confidence.

Good task for Covid19 lock down times.... 😀

Cheers All n stay safe.

Andrew