NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Disassembling an AZ EQ6 GT?

Mark_C

Maybe start a new thread asking azeq6 owners. There might only be two or three people who would be interested in which case it would be a lot of work for you with little return. You'd need to include photos and labels for absolutely everything and maybe show the tools you used at each stage too, so thickos like me could follow it :) i'd be happy to help proof read it for you for free and see if i could follow the guide. If you were going to sell it, maybe check with someone clever that it wouldn't breach any form of copyright (which i doubt it would).

James

Hello again!

I have not had time to continue disassembling my mount, so I'm at the same point I was.

I have removed the mount head from the base, but need to clean and regrease. Original grease is dirt, a lot!!

I also want to polish some parts where paint is not supposed to be...

Yes, mine too. Grease was almost black maybe due to aluminum particles and dust.

I have resembled the mount again.

I've perfectly cleaned all individual parts with gasoline and a toothbrush.

Then I've added grease where there was before, but a good high quality grease (lithium grease with teflon particles).

I've polished both the encoder cover I showed you and the aluminum ring that have the AR axis coordinates printed.

Mount seems to work better than ever. It's easy now to balance AR axis.

The only thing you have to pay attention at is correcting backlash, but it's not difficult...

Now I will patiently wait next clear night to test my guiding performance.

Thanks, mikeobrien for your help!

I'll be happy to contribute as I've recently bought a year old AZ-EQ6.

I've stripped and rebuilt / tuned my HEQ5 pro already so I won't be afraid to do this one.

Edited by Jonk

I tried guiding last night...

It seems to work better than before the adjustments were made, but I couldn't test long exposure, only a couple of minutes.

Clouds covered all the sky and I went to bed...

Jonk have you had chance to use the Az yet?

I've only used it once with a 150P on it, but it's not running correctly as it makes an awful noise when slewing then stops slewing, only to start slewing again without issue.

It either needs stripping and cleaned / greased properly, or the power supply wasn't high enough.

Balance was good and everything as far as I know was connected properly.

I have adjusted mine by putting an ammeter in line so I can see if the mount binds by noting the current its drawing and keeping that as low as possible. Managed to get rid of most of the backlash and still not bind the gears. Having said that the real test will be if we ever get a clear sky to try it! Must be coming up to 5 or 6 weeks since last night I could use.

Edited by mikeobrien

Good idea - mine was running on a 12v 100Ah battery the other night when I tried it, and I did notice the power LED flash which would indicate low volts.

The battery was charged (12.3V offload) and is relatively new so shouldn't be a power issue.

I will test this however with a current clamp and see what's going on whilst slewing, before I strip it down tomorrow.

Has anyone found the correct plug to make a DC PSU cable, rather then use the supplied fag lighter plug?