SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet Jacques coming around

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that was good while it lasted, but an all-pervasive haze came over !

But up till then had fun trying my eye at estimating its diameter and mag in my 10x50 and got something like :

15 to 20min dia (based on the separation of 30Cas and HIP 111701)

mag6.5ish (based on how it was easier than M52 which is listed as mag6.9 in Stellarium)

My first time doing owt like that but guess what, I cant find anything on the interweb doing the same, so I dont know how well I did !

(aerith.com has not been updated in ages )

Got in after 22:00 from work last night and had a peek before beddy-byes.

It's thumping into the "square " bit of the Cephius "House" asterism now and although it has been brighter

it has not lost too much as yet.  still well below Mag 7.

Had to get to bed as I was up very early for work again, suffice to say I am home in good time and do not

need to get up so the 180 degree H2O nebula is blocking any chance of a view tonight.

Mick

Supposed to pass by the Garnet Star around midnight tonight which should be well worth a look. (Hopefully that big H2O Nebula doesn't get in the way!)

Thanks for the heads up, if it clears I will have a try for that

Supposed to pass by the Garnet Star around midnight tonight which should be well worth a look. (Hopefully that big H2O Nebula doesn't get in the way!)

Another thanks for the heads up.

It has been a long time since I visited that one, isnt it nice ! :)

(and Comet Jack right where it ought to be :) )

I guess it must be near max. ? cos I had no trouble with it NE just now.

I tried for a light curve in AAVSO LCG but I must be having a senior moment, I cant get it to work, just a blank screen :(

http://www.aavso.org/lcg

anyone else ??

Indeed it is, just in from a fine sight of Comet Jacques just half a degree from Herschel's Garnet star.

Beautiful at 20x in my 70mm refractor.

Thanks to Special K for the tip off.

Regards, Ed.

Indeed it is, just in from a fine sight of Comet Jacques just half a degree from Herschel's Garnet star.

Beautiful at 20x in my 70mm refractor.

Thanks to Special K for the tip off.

Regards, Ed.

Just been doing exactly the same Ed. Plenty of cloud around here, but it looked lovely in the few clear patches than came over in the right place. Thanks to Special K from me too :-)

Glad you folks got a chance to see it! Was a nice view here but we were plagued with clouds off and on. I got a good look when it was approaching the Garnet, and it was just pulling away from a nice little bundle of dim mag stars.

How strange - I looked at the Garnet Star at about 11.30 pm, but completely missed Jacques (having forgotten all about the comet). Maybe my fov was too small - 100mm f13 with a 5mm bgo. Still, will have another look out tonight, clouds permitting.

How strange - I looked at the Garnet Star at about 11.30 pm, but completely missed Jacques (having forgotten all about the comet). Maybe my fov was too small - 100mm f13 with a 5mm bgo. Still, will have another look out tonight, clouds permitting.

Looks like it was just out of your field of view Mark, even at its closest. Looked good in a wider fov - the 12.5mm circle is in a 570mm f/l scope.

Will be a fair way away from the Garnet star tonight though, moving pretty swiftly!

epybene6.jpg

Stu

Thanks Stu. Got my TAL 125 out and pointed at the Garnet Star right now with a 20mm widefield. Been looking around, but can't see anything that looks like a fuzzy star right now within half a degree or so. Still not properly dark as yet though :)

The comet does not appear to be in the same FoV as the Garnet Star at the moment with my 12" dob. That's a 1.6 degree field with the 31mm Nagler. It's a fast mover is Jacques !

Still quite bright and extended though and seems to have a tight core.

Just found it, not easy as there are no nearby stars in my Celestron database. It is two POV fields (25mm/60x EP in 5" MAK) E and N of the Garnet Star (checking STUs diagram and line of sight from the GS confirms that as about NE).

But it is still quite clear, once in your EP you will notice it. I am finding it better viewing than when it was in Cassiopeia - no doubt a mix of better conditions and being higher in the sky.

Archived