SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Quest for M4 - ongoing!

kerrylewis

I find M22 hard from home and M4 is doable with decent conditions. not even tried yet as even M11 was quite faint the other night!

I'll be looking more frequently over the next few weeks. you will eventually get it and then never fail most likely

I have got M74 from home too with the 12" but it's almost not there. as with all things even slightly better conditions and skies will reveal a lot you cannot see at home.

Is this a LP issue, or are you way up north?

M22 is an easy bino object from my back garden. I'm certain that this is not down to my observing skills.

Binos could be the best bet for a low contrast object like M4. I catch it ok with my scope on a good night, but that is looking out over fields so zero heat/turbulence issues from houses (this could be an issue for low objects).

M33 is the low contrast one that I have only ever resolved in binos under normal skies (not a hope with the Dob).

Paul

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

M22 is easy in my 25*70s, M28 is more difficult but still doable (was clearly visible tonight). On a good night (like the first time I looked) M4 is easy, but its very fickle. Many nights I can't find it at all when I can see 22 and even 28.

Haven't yet seen M54- had a go tonight but I think the extinction was just too much.

I have been looking tonight in this region - for M69 and M70.  Had a look for M4 but was not really dark enough.  Later convinced myself i glimpsed M69 but not so sure and area than dipped behind some trees.  I did see M54 though which stood out ok - a pea size haze !

andrew

While this is a observing thread, when i have searched for DSO and get a glimpse of what i think is the chosen object i stick a DSLR in the focuser and a short 15 second images will show the object for what it is,  galaxy's or clusters get  there spirals or points of light, it nice to confirm what some grey smudges really are...:)

• 2 weeks later...

Got it in my 10x50s from the Loire valley last night (along with the Ptolemy and Butterfly clusters).

It was very faint & low but there none the less.

Amazing what dark sky and an extra 4° does!!!

Wish that I had my Dob with me.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

LP is a killer for this one and the whole "now you see it now you don't" can be a drag. Put this on the list of targets to bag on holiday. If its any consolation, its a gorgeous naked eye treat under the right circumstances. I saw M4 again last month at a dark shoreline in California on a night so good I was talking to myself with a running commentary :)

M4's very bright and easy when Scorpio is high as it is down under. Can't miss it in the 60mm finder. But yes, from the UK it will be much more of a challenge with low altitude and light pollution. The latter is becoming a real issue where I'm currently based. The sky is dark grey blue. Ironic though it may sound, I'm looking forward to getting to England for darker skies!

M4 is a little different to other globs I've seen in that in my 7" refractor, there are only two rows of stars resolved - rather like stripes across a background glow. 

Don't give up on it though. When the conditions are just right you'll bag it :)

I was looking at M4 last night with my 115mm APO, it really is a lovely cluster but it must be very low for you in England as it is not exactly near the zenith for me and I am many miles to the south of you. Keep trying it is worth the effort.

Alan

Archived