Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn or just a bright defracted blur

The last two nights I have tried to see Saturn and both a failure.

First night forgot to check collimation but gave scope 30 minutes to cool down but end of session no better than start.

Saturn was a bright mess I could not get it to focus from 32mm to 6mm it was bright and defracting edges spiking everywhere. There was hardly any dew outside the led lamps were quite still.

So last night checked collimation did a fiddle and put scope outside to cool still extended.

Street lights were refracting slightly but very little dew again.

Saturn was no better could not resolve it at all.

If I defocused I could see even rings but the edge was wobbly wibbly and moving. This was even worse the night before the movement on the defocused view.

Is this just unlucky two nights in a row extreme atmospheric turbulence?

But I see other members have been observing and imaging.

Hello HC, I think you already have the answer, the seeing is most likely the problem, the warmer weather and the low altitude of Saturn is no help. Keep trying, a good night will surprise you with the difference.  :smiley:

Thank you

It is higher in the sky then when I saw it last year in March but it is now to my SW and before it was SE. So I look over different roofs and behind row of houses in that direction is the main road into town. So probably is more heat that way.

I have not yet seen it this year.

I managed (for the first time) to get a good look at Saturn last night, but only once I'd removed the moon filter from my 6mm eyepiece!!  It only took me 20 minutes to realise!! 

Mars, on the other hand, was not as clear as I have seen it.  The view meant coping with the heat rising from the nearest town. 

Greetings

Saturn is very low at the moment and as above the heat haze from thermals rising from nearby structures have an even greater effect on views at this time of year, last night I had a quick capture of Saturn but the seeing was terrible

post-28592-0-26014500-1403341092.jpg

this is just 150 frames from a test run last night it was just a few degrees above a sodium street light ,

it gets better the higher  you point the scope.

Andy

I had a great view of Saturn last night. It was the first time for me and seeing the rings was just great.

I tried several eyepieces and even found success with a 17mm and barlow. The image was very sharp.

Then had a further look around at some double stars and nebuli?? A great evening and looking forward to more.

The back of my house faces south and because of trees i am a little restricted in the low sky.

If I get a chance I will try tonight and use my phone to check I am looking at what I think I an looking at, it was definitely a planet as so bright no stars were visible yet and approx 60 degrees maybe at 9:50pm S direction

You should be able to see Arcturus naked eye at the same time as Saturn. Arcturus is slightly brighter, but higher above the horizon,approx 57 degrees south direction, while Saturn will be at 24 degrees late evening (from your pov that is). I am not sure what you mean by seeing Saturn at  60 degrees here.

For me Saturn will be at 13 degrees, just above my neighbours rooftops and no matter how poor seeing I`ve had, there has been no problem recognizing the planet, using the heritage 130p.

Rune

It was what was showing on that location for me on stelarium.

It was too bright for a star as could see it 30 minutes ahead of stars.

Just checked tonight Arcturus (64 deg @ 9.25 UK time)  is visible here well before Saturn (24 deg @ 9.25 Uk time), I think you may be looking at the wrong object.

OK last night went to a dark location and thankfully telescope behaved better.

My phone I had used has location set from on holiday, doh!

So that confirmed yep not Saturn.

Dark site confirmed just a very very bright star. Possible rigel but didn't check location on other phone so could have been out as well.

Any way at home it looks bright like a planet at dark site looks like a star.

Dark site was lovely but too light to find anything so watched the beautiful night and many satellites. Used the camera too but so light could not make out milky way.

Archived