NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

what binos would you go for out of theses

faulksy

i am sick of buying cheap binos that are rubbish so might get some of these what would you buy or recommend

1 pentax 10 x 50 pcfwp11

2 barr and stroud savanahh  10 x 56 e.d.

3 william optics 10 x 50 e.d.

thanks guys

Especailly when all those you have listed are available in FLO's summer Clearance ....

Difficult isn't it... 

I have the Hawke version of the Barr and Stroud  ED's  but in 8x56 .... and they cost a lot  more when I bought them... 

Very nice but personally I am not a great fan of the dioptre adjustment lever being close to the focus knob. I find with gloves on I keep adjusting the dioptre at the same time as focusing... I  guess that if I could train myslef to use the focusing knob closer to the objective end it probably wouldnt be an issue.

Peter...

I honestly think you would be happy with any of the above but if I had to pick I would go for the BA8 William Optic 10x50, but then again I've heard good things about the Pentax :)

Chris 

Especailly when all those you have listed are available in FLO's summer Clearance ....

Difficult isn't it... 

I have the Hawke version of the Barr and Stroud  ED's  but in 8x56 .... and they cost a lot  more when I bought them... 

Very nice but pesonally I am not a great fan of the dioptre adjustment lever being close to the focus knob. I find with gloves on I keep adjusting the dioptre at the same time as focusing... I  guess that if I could train myslef to use the focusing knob closer to the objective end it probably wouldnt be an issue.

Peter...

The new Celestron DX 8x56 look similar to the B&S 8x56 but have the dioptre in the more traditional spot on the right side

None...............but thats just me as i dont like bins.........................but if i were to buy a set i would go for the 8x56 ED, sounds like a superb set that will give pleasure for a lifetime, in fact when you get a set do a review and see if you can change my mind on bins  :cool:

None...............but thats just me as i dont like bins.........................but if i were to buy a set i would go for the 8x56 ED, sounds like a superb set that will give pleasure for a lifetime, in fact when you get a set do a review and see if you can change my mind on bins  :cool:

You're so missing out Jules, they are the ultimate grab and go and two eyes are better than one! ;)

thank you guys, so all are good and no one recommended the opticron, quite surprised.the williams sounded great but as peter says indavidual ep adjustment no good for terestrial.the barr and stroud should be good with 56mm apperature, but then peter said the lever is in the way, but maybe that would be ok. there for dual use peter by the way

It's a minor niggle on the B&S  I wouldn't say it''s  a deal breaker just something to be aware of - some people will probably  find them perfectly ok it's  just my focusing finger naturally falls right on the lever...... They are very nice bins optically - I guess the setup is pretty much identical to the  Hawke Prostalks ED's   they are heavy  for a full day in the field but rugged..

I have a pair of 25x100s with individual EP focusing great for  Astro and long distance observing  but a pain for anyhing changing distance...

Peter...

It's a minor niggle on the B&S  I wouldn't say it''s  a deal breaker just something to be aware of - some people will probably  find them perfectly ok it's  just my focusing finger naturally falls right on the lever...... They are very nice bins optically - I guess the setup is pretty much identical to the  Hawke Prostalks ED's   they are heavy  for a full day in the field but rugged..

Peter...

thank you peter

If money was no object and the primary use was astronomy, I'd certainly go for the WO (I have the Oberwerk Ultra, which is the non-ED version and it is very nice indeed).

However, if there was going to be a lot of terrestrial use or if budget was a prime  consideration, I'd probably go for the Pentax. It is a very nice binocular and I found it remarkably comfortable to hold (but this is a personal thing: it may not translate to you). It also has focus locking, which enhances its suitability for astronomy.

Hu faulksy,

I had the B&S 56 EDs for about a week and I was very impressed with them, they are very nice to use - feel good inm the hands and the optics - but like psychobilly I had issues with the diopter adjuster. I didn't know whether there simply wasn't enough adjustment, (which I found difficult to believe); they were faulty (which was possible) or whatever(?). I somewhat reluctantly returned them to FLO replacing them with the WO 10x50EDs. The build quality of these BA8s is heavy and superb. Optically I would not say they are dramatically better than the B&S but they arethet are better  and also in just about in every other way. They are big/heavy for 10x50s and for my slightly shaky hands are definitely better mounted - that said  - a cheapish monopod will do nicely and just about any binocular is better mounted anyway. They are individual focus which is great for astro worj but a bit of a pain for somthing like birdwatching where you need to change focus quickly.

As to the Pentaxs - I have the 20x60s (I'll get round to a write up sometime when I feel I've put them through their paces sufficiently) and if the optics are anything like as good they will be good binos but 5 degrees fov for 10x50s is just a tad narrow for my liking but that is just me. The 20x60s are only 3 degrees but they are definitely a different kettle of fish.

I've just looked at the prices - the B&Ss at £50 off what I paid are I can imagine a bit tempting. The Pentax 12x60s at a £119 are a real steal if they could take your fancy. Oh decisions! Good luck with it.

thanks for the responces guys. i think the barr and stroud seem the best reading what everyone has said, pentax sfov, williams have independant eye adjustment and the price. barr and stroud only niggle was the adjuster. just emailed flo to see if the 10x were in the offers, i will let you no, cheers

Hi faulksy, in my response it should read that the Williams Optics are "not dramatically better (than the B&Ss) but they are better" But the Barr & Strouds are being sold at very good price and if centre focus is important  then they may be the way to go. If you do choose them and are disappointed FLO may well swap them - they are very good that way.

After seeing the price the 12x50s are being sold for I purchased a pair. I have been reviewing them for days on end and not a bad word said against them apart that some may not like the field of view. Coming from 25x100s that is not a concern for me and my way of thinking is I would rather have a smaller field of view but greater clarity across it then wide field of view and out of focus stars but like I said thats my way of thinking.

I've used the 10 x 50's and 8 x 40's opticrons and can vouch for both optically! I believe the opticrons are lighter than the Pentax as well.

I use 15 x 70 helios apollos on a mono pod currently. I have often thought about a light pair of 10 x 50's and would properly go for the opticrons over the Pentax for that reason. I 've not tried the others you've suggested. I like the separate eye piece focusers of the apollos, but for ease of use I would go for a centred focuser on a smaller aperture. My thought being dual purpose, astronomy and terrestrial.

Some excellent advise above however, and I'm sure they are all worthy contenders, either way binos are excellent fun at this price point.

Chris

Archived