Hi from Exeter

access_mdb

Well just outside to be correct. I've joined because I've had an interest in astronomy for many years, but have never done much more than using good old Mark 1 eyeballs. Now I'm thinking of getting a telescope, so it's over to the appropriate forum to get some advice.

Hi and welcome to the lounge,

the advice I was given was, take your time in choosing your first scope,

don't rush into buying something that after a few months you wan't to 

upgrade, in other words bigger aperture, so think of what you intend to

view, and if in the future you intend to try A P, there are lot's of variations 

of scopes, so do your homework and choose wisely.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's 

Hi There,

Welcome to SGL. Before parting with hard earned cash, go along to your local astro group and have a look at what other folk have. You will then have a better idea what will suit you best. Couple of books to help you round the sky 'turn left at orion', 'sky & telescope pocket star atlas' and  when you have five mins download a planetarium program. Try Stellarium its great and free - to be found here :--- http://www.stellarium.org/

You may wish to try a pair of binos first, a 10X50 pair is a great start.

Hi and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and decided to join. There's loads of information on the forum and many helpful folks too - All good advise so far :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

My this is a friendly group! Thanks for all your welcomes. I have a pair of 12X50s but find them a bit uncomfortable with a tripod mount. I also have Stellarium as well. Looks like all the advice is to not buy a cheap telescope but wait until I can afford better. Thanks also to Martin for his helpful advice.

Maybe I will learn what all those words, acronyms, initialisms and numbers mean in all your sigs as well!

Archived