Help, it the wife's birthday....

Not on the 'scope but on the supplier.

Buy from a reputable astronomical supplier, FLO for first choice, even if it costs a few quid more, the after-sales service will well make up for it.

Forget Costco, Amazon or any of the other fly-by-night operators.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still say, take longer to decide on the telescope, You've been studying only a few Days, and you can already see what a dilema it is. Its almost a must to try one before you buy one, many folk dont, and suffer. That money is now wasted and could have been better spent on something that really worked and suited the situation. will costco offer support and spares!

These Binoculars are well worth the money http://www.strathspey.co.uk/shop/full.php?q=1118253053 A good  star book from WHS book to accompany them.

Time on holiday to study,  choose wisely with a telescope, a telescope could be for life, not just a Christmas or Birthday! next week is'nt the end of the World, unless your wife has only till next week! Then buy her any telescope? Dont rush is my warning.

I have just ordered the Starwatcher 100 from FLO and a name a star kit on line. I know its not real but it will be a nice set up gift :0)

Will re -read the comments and pick up one of the books that was recommended.

Thank you for all your help. Hopefully when she mentioned a telescope she meant it. I will update you all next week :0)

Not on the 'scope but on the supplier. Buy from a reputable astronomical supplier, FLO for first choice, even if it costs a few quid more, the after-sales service will well make up for it. Forget Costco, Amazon or any of the other fly-by-night operators.

+1 I was going to reply something similar. Anyway welcome to SGL and go with the FLO-W!

I don't watch soaps on telly but I feel like I'm in one here.

Best of luck, Legohead. I'm on tenterhooks waiting to hear if the missus likes her prezzy!

You simply must tell us the outcome. Well, only if it's good mind you ... Everybody's rooting for you.

Thanks all, fingers crossed :0)

It'll be fine , good scope , look for saturn and the moon of course on the first night. Get a good book with charts any problems just ask.....

Turn Left At Orion is an excellent book. Also I would recommend Stellarium as a great download, it is free and will show you what is in the sky from your location (planets, deep sky objects etc.). Best of luck but I am sure she will like it.

She loved it, thank you all for the pointing me in the right direction.

We had a picnic in the park and set it up this morning. I didn't realise everything would be upside down but now understand why. Looking forward to having a proper play this evening and seeing the difference from using the different lenses.

I will order the book from Amazon now that I know she likes it. I have also downloaded the Stellarium app on Android to help.

I may be back to ask a few questions this evening :0)

Thanks again.

Yesss!

And they all lived happily ever after ...

Glad it went well. I think Sandra's comment was the winner. Your wife hinted at a telescope and some folks said to get her binoculars. As Sandra said that would not have been clever when your missus hinted at a scope, would it?

Have fun. Oh, and wish your good lady many happy returns from me.

Archived