Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Zoom bug

I too have been hit by the "zoom bug" and have just ordered the Leica 17.9-8.8 zoom with the Baader VIP barlow and Ludes 2" T2 adapter.It will be nice to try on galaxies,zooming in for the greatest contrast possible.It will have some stiff competition though-against the 17E,10E and Delos at higher mags.Even when the zoom is a bit astigmatic (no barlow) in my f4.8,I believe under 21.7 mag skies it will excell on DSO.I wonder if this zoom will frost up like my Nagler zoom...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be very interested to hear how the Leica zoom performs in your newtonian Gerry  :smiley:

I was within an ace a buying one late last year but I could not convince myself 100% about it's likely performance in my F/5.3 dob on the basis of feedback on the Cloudnights forum so I chickened out.

Actually John you started the zoom bug for me quite a while ago!I have waited to hear how this EP performs in faster scopes (newts in particular) from others and it seems to get mixed reviews....some say not much aberration,others say quite a bit.Apparently the VIP barlow works well with it helping smooth out things if needed.Other than that the Leica is said to provide good light through put and excellent contrast,which I love.I have a feeling it will excel in your f5.3 dob,but time will tell.

One thing is for sure, I will report what I see,even if it costs me a lot in depreciation

Thanks Alan,I can't wait to try it. :smiley:

LOL!on the timber!The Leica is expensive but purchasers seem to have a bunch of Black and Green for sale after this EP arrives.....possibly making the zoom more cost effective than first thought.

Seeing some very experienced observers doing this made me think this zoom must be excellent optically-I'm going to find out in a week or two :grin:

The Leica is expensive but purchasers seem to have a bunch of Black and Green for sale after this EP arrives.....possibly making the zoom more cost effective than first thought.

Seeing some very experienced observers doing this made me think this zoom must be excellent optically-I'm going to find out in a week or two :grin:

I kinda felt the same Gerry but the one thing that struck me was that after all the reviews and reports with the Leica on all sorts of scopes including sub f/4 dobs not one person has felt any of its weaknesses are bad enough to sell the Leica on!! :)

I've used mine enough now to find its strengths and weakness's, I sold a few Delos but the Leica is like getting lots of different focal length XW's in exchange.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it. :)

I've used mine enough now to find its strengths and weakness's, I sold a few Delos but the Leica is like getting lots of different focal length XW's in exchange.

You aren't holding up your first light with Leica until you've sketched all the Messiers once more? :grin:

This eyepiece will be good,even if there has been some reports of "bubbles" (dust,moisture) contaminating a very few lens surfaces.Leica apparently warrantied and fixed these no problem.I do expect edge issues in my f4.8,but some say they are as good as a Delos,XW in this regard.

At this point I have no desire,need or want to sell my Televues,I really do like the quality of these eyepieces.Last night the 21E with OIII gave a very good view of the Veil under relatively poor skies,even revealing a hint of the Wisp there as well.And the moon wasn't fully set.

Markus Ludes has been great with the ordering process and I will not hesitate to deal there again-APM sure has some high spec refractors.....

The only sad thing so far is that the big dob is on hold a little longer-but thats OK because I'm not sure exactly what I want yet :icon_scratch:

I would need to sell a few Tele Vues to be able to afford the Leica zoom which is why I need to be 100% convinced that it would be the right move, and I'm not there (yet).

I am absolutely sure it is a fine zoom eyepiece but there is something about having a spread of nice quality eyepieces in a case or cases with me, don't ask me what, I can't put a finger on it. Maybe for me this is one where less is not more. More is more and I keep adding. 

I think like John I would like to look at this one to see if it were to fit into the big picture for me. Yong has one and speaks very highly of it, let's face it Lieca don't make bad optics do they.

I hope you get some better weather than I have, I  just seen a duck outside with an umbrella and wellies.

Alan

I am absolutely sure it is a fine zoom eyepiece but there is something about having a spread of nice quality eyepieces in a case or cases with me, don't ask me what, I can't put a finger on it. Maybe for me this is one where less is not more. More is more and I keep adding. 

I kinda feel completely the opposite Alan, if you had one eyepiece which gave you very similar eye relief and TFoV and the same (if not slightly better) quality as your favourite fixed focal length EP's then I cant see where I'm benefitting from using fixed focal lengths.

Of course I'm not saying your wrong, I guess we just have different feelings on zoom EP's. :)

I currently love the views all my fixed eyepieces give.  However I really don't like the fiddly interruptions changing them. The messing around with caps, trying my best not to touch the glass, making sure they are put back safe.  I sometimes feel I spend as much time 'zooming' up and down between the focal lengths as I do observing.  I am interested in this eyepiece for sure & am looking forward to my first opportunity to look into one.  3 eyepieces in total sounds like a dream to me ! 

I think like John I would like to look at this one to see if it were to fit into the big picture for me. Yong has one and speaks very highly of it, let's face it Lieca don't make bad optics do they.

I hope you get some better weather than I have, I  just seen a duck outside with an umbrella and wellies.

Alan

I feel like that Alan having that collection in the case, as irrational as it may seem, but that swapping over is something I enjoy, that build up process of swapping over and going

oooh, I wonder what it will look like now   :grin: 

even If I don't like too much faff, barlows and all that extra stuff.

No doubt I would have a lot fo fun with a zoom, that being said, on paper  I fear a little that a zoom may not be as much of a psychological effect on the brain in terms of zooming for those models that have a variable apparent FOV. Roughly as an example one that goes from 8 - 18mm  and lets say 60 to 40 degrees may seen like a large range on paper,  but could only give a range of 1.6 to 2.3 degrees FOV in the scope.  It could leave me with a feeling of I want more, or where is the rest of the zoom :grin:

If I had one I would like the apparent FOV range to be constant over that sort of range ... ideally, purse damage notwithstanding  :smiley:

Roughly as an example one that goes from 8 - 18mm  and lets say 60 to 40 degrees may seen like a large range on paper,  

It's more like 81 to 59 degrees according some owner's measurement.

Also using the same (highly respected) owners measurement,the field stop varies from 18.1mm-12.5mm,giving .86 deg TFOV to .60 deg TFOV @ 1200mm in my scope.It is for this reason I will not give up my low power widefield eyepieces,as the Leica cannot compete in this area.

The formula used for the TFOV calc  is FS/FL * 57.3

Also using the same (highly respected) owners measurement,the field stop varies from 18.1mm-12.5mm,giving .86 deg TFOV to .60 deg TFOV @ 1200mm in my scope.It is for this reason I will not give up my low power widefield eyepieces,as the Leica cannot compete in this area.

The formula used for the TFOV calc is FS/FL * 57.3

I shall be keeping my 13,17 and 21mm ethos, and will mainly use the Leica with the VIP Barlow for higher powers. The ability to fine tune the mag on planets should be great.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The formula used for the TFOV calc  is FS/FL * 57.3

I really hoped it would but sadly the FoV at 60˚ is just to small for me so for me the hunt for two mid to low power EP's continues...

I really hoped it would but sadly the FoV at 60˚ is just to small for me so for me the hunt for two mid to low power EP's continues...

I expect to mainly be using it at the higher powers where the afov is wider so shouldn't be a problem. I agree that I don't think it is a replacement for Widefield low power eyepieces. Someone needs to design a 17 to 31mm 82 or 100 degree zoom! That would be a monster :-)

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My primary uses for this eyepiece will be to adjust the EP for the optimum exit pupil on galaxies and also for high power planetary,in both of my scopes.An experience this spring with lower exit pupils on galaxies led me to the decision to try this eyepiece,and it should work well when I get a bigger scope that will provide a more appropriate image scale for these objects.

Please don't think I am Leica knocking I would never do that and yes I would love to try one out.

I was just driving my Son and Grandmother to the village for the week-end and it came to me while I was trying to see where I was going in the latest down pour of H2O. Many years ago when I started out in photograpy I was told that a zoom no matter how good will always have compromises in the range of focal lenghts, like the Canon 70-200 F2.8L, yes it is very high quality lens but it will not beat the primes in the same range at 85mm, 135mm and 200mm, there may be more now but they are ones I own or have owned at some point.  I really feel the same will be true of the Leica zoom at some point in it's focal range a top line fixed focal length will win through.

I remember reading John's review of the Baader Mklll zoom and for the first time read of not being able to see the field stop clearly from 20mm onwards, a clear compromise, and then one or two comments after agreeing from owners. Now I am sure that the Leica will not be like that but having said that, tiny and I do mean tiny, defects will be there to see I am sure. I think the buying of focal primes from Televue, Pentax or whoever at that level, which lets face it are not perfect will always shine through in the end with best seeing.

I still wouldn't mind one though Gerry, Stu and Yong.

Alan 

Archived