Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Zoom bug

It's more like 81 to 59 degrees according some owner's measurement.

Sorry, It wasn't  meant to be a bash on any specific zoom, just a hypothetical example with variable apparent FOvs I meant to say :smiley:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No issues at all Alan or Alex :-). If money were no object I would have a nice range of Delos aswell as the Leica :-). Life being what it is, I needed to liberate some cash to assist with the Vixen purchase which was an opportunity which doesn't come up often. The Leica can cover quite a few ep's and so is a cost saving pure and simple. From what I've read, the quality is comparable with Delos/Pentax XW so it should be very good indeed.

Alan, you may be right about ultimate quality, but I also have a back set of Orthos which give me very nice performance for high power too so I'm covered there.

Doesn't mean I don't miss my Delos and XW's in the case though :-)

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stu,

As I am sure you know it was not intended as a dig and as you rightly say orthos are there for those nights where you need that extra turn of the dial to 11.  I think it is about time though we all liberated some cash to buy some weather, it is terrible, the worst I have seen in 16 years here.

As we will soon have or already have 3 of these Leica zooms on site it may be nice to see a report of zoom verses ortho, though it is difficult with the large difference in FOV.

Alan.

Doesn't mean I don't miss my XW's in the case though :-)

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 7mm is very well looked after in my home, so no worries. Those Pentaxes in my case are not going to zoom anywhere else any time soon  :grin:

Sorry, It wasn't  meant to be a bash on any specific zoom, just a hypothetical example with variable apparent FOvs I meant to say :smiley:

I don't think anyone takes it that you were bashing the zoom, I just presumed that you took wrong numbers for the zoom since OP was talking about this zoom, my understanding. is that we both like correct numbers in general :smiley:

I don't think anyone takes it that you were bashing the zoom, I just presumed that you took wrong numbers for the zoom since OP was talking about this zoom, my understanding. is that we both like correct numbers in general :smiley:

On that occasion I waved my hands in the air and made up some numbers to convey the argument. It is very warm and stuffy in  the where room I work, that's my excuse today, so accuracy goes out the window. Otherwise guilty as charged :grin:

After a great solar day,I'm excited to try this zoom with my Baader wedge-it should work well,framing the sun at nicely at all mags with no barlow @ f7 in my 90mm refractor and from measurements it should fit the wedge,with the clicklock no problem-close though(to the prism).

I am venturing back into the realm of zoom EPs after my unsuccessful foray with the Lunt zoom. I am now getting a William Optics 7.5-22.5 mm, with rated eye relief of 18-19 mm, which should be plenty. Should arrive by the end of the week. Intended use: mainly solar, but also for light travel setup

Archived