Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Rolls-Royce Planetary Eyepiece !

When i owned the full set of BST`s, i found the 5mm a bit lacking, this is not to say i dont like the starguiders, still have a couple of them, but if i were to get another high power i think i would get the TS HD, having already owned one of these

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Estwing,

You know what they say " you don't have a record collection if Darkside of the Moon isn't in it".  Well it is the same with the 8mm Ethos. :evil:

I have DSOTM on 16/44.1 CD, 24/96 stereo, 24/96 5.1, 24/88.1 5.1, 24/96 4.0 (that's Quadrophonic!) stereo vinyl and get this Quadrophonic vinyl!!! I can't play the Quadrophonic vinyl, but consider it equivalent to spending £300 on a 3mm EP. You can't really use it, but what the heck! I'm a completist!

Still, I currently have, 400 LPs & 15000 tracks on the server and I'm proud to say, not one (as in nada, nil, zilch) MP3s. They're like kit EPs that have been cleaned with a gritty sponge, if you have ears worthy of the name. NEVER ask to play an MP3 on my system....

Russell

Getting back on track and having owned all and liked nearly all of the BSTs - I felt the 5mm and 25mm were the weakest of the bunch. If the 3.2mm is just a 5mm with the Smythe elements dragged a little further out, it may be a bit of a gap filler, rather than a really desirable EP.

As ever, I'm happy to stand corrected - Especially if it turns out not to be the case and it's another example of high value being brought to the market place. :)

Russell

• 3 months later...

I still think that an Ortho would be a better eyepiece except for the short eye-relief and the fact I have never seen a 3mm ortho. Using words like Rolls Royce is typical of the way advertising has gone the last few years. At 47 pounds I may well try and get one and see how it matches up to my 3mm Radian which has 20mm of ER and is sharp everywhere in all my scope.

Alan.

A 3.2mm Ortho would require eye surgery (flattening of the cornea) I guess. I have seen a 3 or 4mm monocentric somewhere, I think. That would be even worse. I have Barlowed my 10mm Radian using a 2x teleXtender to reach 406x on Mars, and it did work under good conditions. A 3.2mm would perform similarly on my 80mm F/6 in terms of exit pupil, but I would never use the 80mm for planetary when I have an 8" SCT handy

Just for the record, the design of these BST eyepieces is different from the TMB one.  The originiator of the BST designm is Astro-Tech who call it the Paradigm.  See:  https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech-paradigm-dual-ed-eyepieces_c52.aspx

There seems to be only one manufacturer with the eyepieces I have seen being physically identical except for branding.  The lack of reported issues suggests that quality control is good.

• 3 months later...

Charic, Slightly more then the rest of the BST's in the end.

Alan at Sky's the Limit has a higher price but 365 that have the 3.2mm add postage on.

So comes out about £3 pounds more.

Not sure how I missed your  input ronin?.........I will more than likely get this EP second hand (sorry Alan!).  Only  my 25mm BST-SG  so-far, came cheap, very cheap, all the others were full price.

There is bound to be folk who will buy this EP and find it gets little use, due to the high magnification (especially on my scope  @375x).  That said, and knowing what the results are like with my 5mm,  the 3.2mm Starguider will be pushing close to  the limits for my telescope, therefore, this will probably be an opportunist purchase rather than an essential purchase. The other reason for purchase,  it completes the set, until they produce the 8th EP ?

The BST's just work well for my eyes on this f/6 scope, and having a range of EP focal lengths, allows me to better frame the target subject. These are possibly the cheapest EP's on the market, for such quality and performance, over and above the standard supplied eyepieces that arrive with the Skywatcher telescopes, and that the few  folk who have owned previous Explorer/Starguider's that have now upgraded to more expensive EP's  for their faster f/4 telescopes,  don't have a real bad word to say about these EPs. 

Not sure how I missed your  input ronin?.........I will more than likely get this EP second hand (sorry Alan!).  Only  my 25mm BST-SG  so-far, came cheap, very cheap, all the others were full price.

There is bound to be folk who will buy this EP and find it gets little use, due to the high magnification (especially on my scope  @375x).  That said, and knowing what the results are like with my 5mm,  the 3.2mm Starguider will be pushing close to  the limits for my telescope, therefore, this will probably be an opportunist purchase rather than an essential purchase. The other reason for purchase,  it completes the set, until they produce the 8th EP ?

The BST's just work well for my eyes on this f/6 scope, and having a range of EP focal lengths, allows me to better frame the target subject. These are possibly the cheapest EP's on the market, for such quality and performance, over and above the standard supplied eyepieces that arrive with the Skywatcher telescopes, and that the few  folk who have owned previous Explorer/Starguider's that have now upgraded to more expensive EP's  for their faster f/4 telescopes,  don't have a real bad word to say about these EPs. 

http://www.kkohki.com/products/photon.html thought you might have got this 32mm for the full set charic!

Steve.....I have thought about it, but the 32mm Panaview does me just fine for now, and will take some beating on price for such good quality?

All I'm getting this Year for my Astronomy is the Urban Astronomy Guide Book produced by Phillips publishing.

Unless the 3.2mm and/ or 32 mm Starguiders come my way at a cost reasonable to me on the secondhand market, for now, my Skyliner is complete and running like a sweet dream, the last time I remember using it? I blame the weather for the lack of use so far.....however last of work Day is looming  with 10  Days off, so I hope,  at some stage try to get out to the darkest place I know up here in Scotland, between Grantown and Forres. give the 8" a real test for its money.

Unless the 3.2mm and/ or 32 mm Starguiders come my way at a cost reasonable to me on the secondhand market, for now, my Skyliner is complete and running like a sweet dream, the last time I remember using it? I blame the weather for the lack of use so far.....however last of work Day is looming  with 10  Days off, so I hope,  at some stage try to get out to the darkest place I know up here in Scotland, between Grantown and Forres. give the 8" a real test for its money.

pfft, Don't I know what you mean. I am hoping for a decent day or two in the next few weeks before the new year from a newly discovered and quite close dark site (20 minutes).

I am itching to try out some filter research on Jupiter and also nebula to tag. 

Here's hoping.

Archived