Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finder scope an accessory?!

emadmoussa

Crikey... Everyone replying to this thread seems to be an Advanced Member and/or a Moderator. I feel a bit out of place adding my two-penneth! But just to say I replaced one of the not very usable straight-through finders with an RA version, so that cost £65 (luckily the 300 Dob actually came with an RA). Plus I've bought a Telrad and a Rigel. So the cost of the finder accessories really has added up forme at least.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Each of my Revelation Astro (GSO) scopes came with a rather nice 10x50 finder scope. Trouble is I have four of them now (two still unwrapped) plus other finderscopes. Would be nice to have the choice of a finderscope or something else?

Crikey... Everyone replying to this thread seems to be an Advanced Member and/or a Moderator. I feel a bit out of place adding my two-penneth! But just to say I replaced one of the not very usable straight-through finders with an RA version, so that cost £65 (luckily the 300 Dob actually came with an RA). Plus I've bought a Telrad and a Rigel. So the cost of the finder accessories really has added up forme at least.

looking at your sig julian, i'd be hard pressed calling you inexperienced in the scope purchasing field :D. Regardless,your opinion is just as valid as anyones and appreciated.

Scott... I have more experience buying scopes than in astronomy itself I think, that's true! I enjoy it so much I decided I needed a grab-and-go for snatched sessions. Then I saw the Mak at a good price in a sale and thought it would be better at some things and complement the frac. I'm a bit embarrassed actually so might remove them from my Sig!

Hold on! Your 300P came with an RA?!

I think the standard kit can vary a little. I've seen FLO post about this. FLO have a policy of stating the minimum that the scope will come with. Sometimes they do better than this and that comes as a bonus to the customer. As there is a little inconsistency in what is supplied by the manufacturer I reckon FLO's approach is the best one in the circumstances.

Orion Optics do something similar with their mirrors, if you ask for 1/8th wave PV thats the minimum you will get. Most often the mirror will actually be a little better than that.

I think the standard kit can vary a little. I've seen FLO post about this. FLO have a policy of stating the minimum that the scope will come with. Sometimes they do better than this and that comes as a bonus to the customer. As there is a little inconsistency in what is supplied by the manufacturer I reckon FLO's approach is the best one in the circumstances.

Orion Optics do something similar with their mirrors, if you ask for 1/8th wave PV thats the minimum you will get. Most often the mirror will actually be a little better than that.

Erm...that's strange. I never had an RA as a stock accessory. I wonder what the story will be with 350P or whether you can specifically request an RA instead of a straight through finder!

well, I have generally found out recently that I don't always use the finderscope , I sometimes use my own judgement and arms to pinpoint what I am looking for, Anything else I find in my scope is truly a surprise and added bonus. I"m still waiting for my new scope to arrive by the way, Its currently in albuqurque NM last I tracked it. I"m not even sure if that one comes with a finder scope or not

I have said this a few times on site, I wish companies would offer a deluxe package, costing more of course. With better finder, diagonal, eyepieces etc. I mean OO do better mirrors, in the words of Mr Clarkson "how hard can it be"

I bought the SW 190mm M/N and gave the eyepieces away to be passed on to a starter by my mate who is a telescope dealer. I later, buying the 180mm Mak, gave away everything as I have better or the same.

As for the other end of the market when buying a quality scope, do you really want poor bolt on's, me no. Having said that I shelled out on a so called quality finder only to find Baaders idea of quality and mine are some way apart. I am considering the Mini Borg finder I see at FLO and if I ever get back to the UK it will be on the grab list.

Even Meades scopes at over 4000 pounds put poor finders and diagonals on there scopes, the finder is not as good as the Sky Watcher, by some way, though there eyepieces are not bad if you ignore the QX range.

There is some point in the market  where you can assume the buyer has most certainly got most things, more if you are buying a 150mm Lzos APO.

I have said this a few times on site, I wish companies would offer a deluxe package, costing more of course. With better finder, diagonal, eyepieces etc. I mean OO do better mirrors, in the words of Mr Clarkson "how hard can it be"

I bought the SW 190mm M/N and gave the eyepieces away to be passed on to a starter by my mate who is a telescope dealer. I later, buying the 180mm Mak, gave away everything as I have better or the same.

As for the other end of the market when buying a quality scope, do you really want poor bolt on's, me no. Having said that I shelled out on a so called quality finder only to find Baaders idea of quality and mine are some way apart. I am considering the Mini Borg finder I see at FLO and if I ever get back to the UK it will be on the grab list.

Even Meades scopes at over 4000 pounds put poor finders and diagonals on there scopes, the finder is not as good as the Sky Watcher, by some way, though there eyepieces are not bad if you ignore the QX range.

There is some point in the market  where you can assume the buyer has most certainly got most things, more if you are buying a 150mm Lzos APO.

In the words of Mr Hammond "Don't say that!!!" :D.

It's a valid point you make though regarding "deluxe option" however, I think that once you get past the beginners stage then any upgrade becomes a somewhat personal choice. Skywatcher are surely only ever going to upgrade their focuser to a better sw one... and if you like FT?

Scott,

I can see why maybe they don't do this, warehousing space I would think high on the list but I am sure it would be well received by most of us. I would also think that they could copy the likes of Featherlite and Moonlite, they seem to able to copy everything else.

It is just having bought two of their better scopes for me they shot themselves in the foot a little. I was always customer focused with work, when I did,  instead of being delighted with the product I was only, well yer it's OK. Take the Mak 180 Pro for example, the visual back was and is junk, I spent another 50 quid getting better, surely they could have taken care of that for an extra few quid.

Alan

I agree Alan, most suppliers keep inventory down to a minimum these days, even so custom orders could be a reality. The cheap "accessories" supplied must have a cost to the supplier/OEM so maybe a tad of discount could be considered during customisation of your order.

Custom orders may cause a delay as to when you receive your goods, I for one don't mind waiting for my goods as long as the supplier is honest about the delivery time in the first instant or updates you should any unexpected changes happen that are out of their control.

Don't think of it as a finder.. think of it as a small guide scope ;)

Yay! Straight through finders convert to VIDEO finders too. Colour correction (50mm f/3.3) about the same as an F5 ST102... donchaknow. Plus you get a spare reticule eyepiece to play with... Steal the nosepiece from a "free" Skywatcher "Kelner" etc. etc. ;)

My main gripe about "finders" is that, with an equatorial NEWT, the first task is usually to FIND the finder? lol.

Notwithstanding the requisite *gymnastics* to actually access the eyepiece of same (if indeed possible)? :angry9:

I use my Baader Skysurfer for most finding jobs. I tend to re-position optical finders "amidships", whatever.

Having something *off-balance* - "Clinging to the OTA like a... [Dylan Thomas allusion?]" just annoys me! :p

well, I have generally found out recently that I don't always use the finderscope , I sometimes use my own judgement and arms to pinpoint what I am looking for, Anything else I find in my scope is truly a surprise and added bonus. I"m still waiting for my new scope to arrive by the way, Its currently in albuqurque NM last I tracked it. I"m not even sure if that one comes with a finder scope or not

Finder scopes play a slightly different role with my own set up to which has to do with balance. When I had a 12" flextube, the scope was a little top heavy and I never had the RA finder scope attached so as to reduce weight. With my OOUK dob, the scope is a little bottom heavy and so I always attach my straight through finder. I am beginning to take a peep and learn to integrate the use of a finder scope a bit more though.

Almost everything I have located though since I began this hobby has been with a telrad - completely essential, a low power wide field 'finder' eyepiece and 'dead reckoning' - whether the sky is dark and peppered in stars or not.  I have almost never used the pretty ineffective finder attached to my C8.

Archived