Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Afocal attempts with the 800 Edge HD

Blazar

I know I should give up on Afocal stuff, but don't really have the kit to go prime at the moment....so heard are the first attempts. please understand I did not polar align....big mistake, but will have a go at that next time we actually have a clear sky! All single shot.

med_gallery_27945_3180_980641.jpg

First go at M13...

med_gallery_27945_3180_94897.jpg

Second go...still using the handheld

first go at Saturn

med_gallery_27945_3180_8153.jpg

cheers for looking

Cheers Knobby. its not ideal, but I think they are quite nice. did get a lot more, but thought I would only put a couple up here. 

Glad you had a good night yesterday. was up early this morning, and put up a new shed...in the spot I used the other night for the scope (shame). those images of yours of Saturn were excellent....as per our discussion, really don't know which way to go at the moment....

Cheers

your Afocal saturn is on par with my prime focus or ASI shots

well done considering your restraints 

Thanks for the words oldpink.....need to keep at it. The wife does have an EOS-M, so might get a T ring and the adapter and have a go at prime focus next time.

........good considering your targets. I have tried Prime and Afocal  on the Moon with  my Skyliner, but more practice is needed. I`m still after a larger image scale, I suppose the computer could enlarge the final image, but roll on some clear nights first!

Thanks Dan / Charic / Jules.

Its just me trying to stretch what I  can do at the moment with the equipment I have. I agree I need some more clear skys to perfect the ASPA alignment feature, then I will try again. I also just received the edge T ring adapter, and an EOS M T ring itself (along with an illuminated reticle to help with the alignments. we will see how that goes as well.

Cheers gents.

yer....now I have to save for a while again.....to get the 'real' DSLR (thinking 1200D unless the EOS M works out)....and the ASI120MM for planets...then filters, filter wheel.....never ends!

Right....I got out last night and had an evening of failure...and eventually some success ! so the failure was with using the EOS-M at prime focus. For some reason it did not want to trip the shutter..so it must be a config issue. thats something to investigate...

However success was using the mount for a second time, and having a first shot at ASPA...which seemed to work quite well..not spot on, but damn close.

and the results of this work...wel could not help trying to take a couple of pictures to see how it went. Now remember there was that full moon hanging around...so the sky was washed out.

so here they are:

M13 (1, 2 & 3)

med_gallery_27945_3180_141225.jpg
med_gallery_27945_3180_110465.jpg

med_gallery_27945_3180_241607.jpg

And then really trying something stupid.....try and get another galaxy....so here is M82:

gallery_27945_3180_85568.jpg

last one of M82:

med_gallery_27945_3180_133202.jpg

so not too bad in the end!

Thanks for looking

Thanks Dan. Well not too bad for Afocal shots....and I have now figured out what was up with the EOS-M! it appears there is a custom function buried deep in the menu's to disable shutter release if the camera detects there is no lens (so a 00 code). i went and disabled that function, and now it fired away with the T ring on.....bring on tonight!

going to have another go!

Not a dumb question at all Sandra.

Afocal is using an Eyepiece and the handheld looking through it (also known as Eyepiece Projection). Prime focus is replacing the EP with the camera. Prime focus is the 'proper' way to do it, but can not afford a new camera at the moment!

Very nice afocal M13, youve certainly inspired me to get back out with my afocal kit (nothing special, an iphone and an adjustable holder that screws to the eyepiece).

Keep up the great work!

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Archived