Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

new to star gazing

mattifor

Just a few word.

I have joined and I am new to watching the Sky.

Have invested in a scope for my wife but would like to use it also.

But first need to build some sort of observatory as I find the Scope too heavy to keep moving it in and out of the house.

Have seen the Sky pods but would like to convert the existing summer house garden shed If I can.

Need to make some where secure if I am going to leave expensive equipment inside it.

Hi Matt and welcome to SGL,

Yes, security is an issue when leaving equipment in sheds but you have to weigh that against the convenience of leaving your 'scope set up and ready to use. Its a toughie and the first of many dilemmas I'm afraid :D

Roy

Have invested in a scope for my wife but would like to use it also.

Yeah I did that to - except with a chainsaw - somehow the wife wasn't so enthusiastic. :D

Welcome to SGL, there's some really good posts lately on observatories and quite a few members have built their own.

Hello and welcome Matt.

It is nice to have a permanent site for your telescope, especially if it is heavy.

Also, if it an equatorially mounted scope, and lined up accurately, then astro imaging becomes a lot easier.

I would also have liked to own a Skyshed Pod, but too expensive for me. However, I have a roll off roof shed which is Ideal too, and a lot of SGL members have built, and are building their own obs. It makes it so much easier both to start work, and to finish work.

Cheers.

Ron. :D

Hi Matt , nice bunch on this site. Feel free to post any questions you have.

A run off shed obs works well , mine has been up since 1990 and it still works OK. I also have it connected to the house alarm system to keep intruders at bay. The advantage of having the scope permanently polar aligned and ready for use should not be underestimated , particularly with the vagaries of the UK weather.

John

Hello Matt Welcome to the forums on SGL I can only advise you a yes on getting an Observatory You can get small burglar alarm systems with the IR sensors type with keypad and the alarm is " really loud " as a kit for about £20 I just got one from one of the supermarket chains only 16.99 uses 8 AA batteries in total so gone for NI Mh heavy duty will post pictures when I fit it hopefully this weekend

Not sure where you live but your welcome to look around the Obs for ideas As is anyone else on the sgl membership :D

Archived