Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Surviving Solar Minimum!

Luke

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts exactly ...  :laugh:

Having admired Harald Paleske's close-up work for some time now ( examples ... http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6492163/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1) I'm sure that at long focal lengths there will always be something to amuse us all in Ha ... it just means getting right in there ...   :p

Cor, stunning work, I don't think I've seen those before :laugh:

Having admired Harald Paleske's close-up work for some time now ( examples ... http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6492163/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1) I'm sure that at long focal lengths there will always be something to amuse us all in Ha ... it just means getting right in there ...   :p

Wow, some stunning stuff there.  That's solar imaging at a whole new level.

check out this site too.  Dave Tyler is a UK imager of some style

http://www.david-tyler.com/image-gallery/

I'm loving the solar image links, some good tonic after the worries (or not) of solar min :smiley: Dave Tyler's images I have seen before, lovely work. And I have bookmarked http://jp-brahic.chez-alice.fr/. Cor, those alone will get me through :grin:

Some of my favourite shots at the moment are from Paolo Porcellana, who I think is a member here. Gorgeous colours. In this YouTube video, my favourite bit is from about 0:56 onwards:

0.jpg

• 2 months later...

Blimey , it doesn't take folks long to start panicking , after a magnificent week we have one quiet day and it's all Solar Minimum doom and gloom ...  :p

Keep an eye on the eight 'o' clock position , I confidently predict something on show in a couple of hours ...  :laugh:

post-21219-0-27545900-1405412330_thumb.p

Luke I bought my PST in early 2005 so have gone through a solar minimum and now maximum. During that time I have observed the Sun on a very regular basis not to forget two Annular eclipses, one Total eclipse and the Venus Transit in the United States.

Next year we will have a nice partial eclipse in the UK followed by the Mercury Transit in 2016.

Notwithstanding all this I expect to see lots of Proms, Filaments etc over the coming years to keep my regular solar observing fix.

That's comforting, thanks, all :) With the Quark now and my 100 mm scope there is so much detail on offer in H-a so that is helping too. Relatively small proms seem to be a bit more engaging with the extra aperture and I could never tire of looking at spicules :)

IF the Sun should go out no problem, it will be good news for DSO observing all day long :D

IF the Sun should go out no problem, it will be good news for DSO observing all day long :D

Yes, but only for a short time until earth becomes frozen and our atmosphere and weather system stop working.  That would be a bit of a dampener on it.

Blimey , it doesn't take folks long to start panicking , after a magnificent week we have one quiet day and it's all Solar Minimum doom and gloom ...  :p

Keep an eye on the eight 'o' clock position , I confidently predict something on show in a couple of hours ...  :laugh:

attachicon.gifP latest_4096_HMIIcrop 15-7-14.png

No panicking in the NE yet.  A quiet time ahead of my hols lets me think about getting my scope sorted and packed ready for it's flight.

Yes, but only for a short time until earth becomes frozen and our atmosphere and weather system stop working.  That would be a bit of a dampener on it.

Surely it will be just like night time, when there is no sun

:grin: :grin:

Anyway, we'll still get some light from the Moon

:grin: :grin:

If you had a look out today around mid-day then Solar minimum was mainly a bit like that in WL.

A few little bright faculae near the limb, and 1 or 2 small spots on the disc. We actually had quite a few

days with no spots at all visible in non professional scopes.

Looking back at my notes though The granulation on the photosper was very marked and the surface was

quite mottled.  Ha showed a selection of phenomina just not as numerous as they are just now.

Still well worth a few minutes of anyone's time, trust me I'm a stargazer.

Mick

Archived