Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellavue 80mm Refractor

The mount is the EQ6, the refractor is the stellavue classic F6 The scope is a achromatic but gives very little chromatic abberation on the planets, but to be honest the scope is a rich field scope for my money and is a great grab and go unit weight is about 5 pounds is very well built the oversized focus wheels are a joy to use the focus unit itself looks like the synta unit but it couldn't be farther from the truth this focuser is smooth as silk as far as the optics go i think you would have to go a long way to beat it the double cluster is fantastic pin point stars

across the field of view M42 is also very nice the scope does have its limits but only because of its aperture the little scope is going to be with me a long time

I'm still not grasping how a dot/bullseye in the finder, makes objects easier to find, your either in the right place or your not.... :lol: I just don't get it.... :insects1:

The telrad, like all finders that use a laser to project a spot or pattern onto a transparent disc, is a 1x finder; it does not magnify the image.

Using one is simplicity itself: Put a low-power eyepiece in the scope then position the scope so that you can see the star thru the finders disc. Then, adjust the scope until the the laser spot/pattern is centered on the star.

Thats it, job done; the object will be somewhere in the eyepiece field of view.

(Also, because there are no lenses or prisms, the 1x finder does not invert the image).

Hope that helps,

Steve :lol:

Hi Caz

There are published Messier Finder Charts for the Telrad family of finders... http://www.solarius.com/msas/findercharts/messier_objects.html which make finding things a *whole* lot easier. Trust me :shock:

Arthur

Thanks for the link Arthur, and a good one it is to..... :lol: Yet again I seem to be swimming in a sea of equipment, and trying to decide whats best for me, so as to furthur my success in amateur astronomy. The Telrad does look like the way to go, but theres so many other accessories I need aswell.... :lol:

Theres a big price difference for the Telrad in the UK compared to US, now why doesn't that suprise me??? :lol:

Ta Daaa!!

http://www.telescope-warehouse.com/product.aspx?itmID=171

(and Bill will ship to the UK competitively priced - tell him I sent you)

Arthur

Thanks Steve, makes sense now, and too easy to be true, but we shall see...

Arthur, your my hero, that was a close call, just logged on to ebay.... :shock: I surely can't tell them Arthur sent me, I haven't got that much nerve..... :lol: But what a bargin, it seems smaller than the other one I was looking at...

Yup - it is smaller but the Telrad is WAY over the top sizewise for what it needs. This one does exactly the same.

OK - tell him Ambermile sent you. Simple!

Arthur

• 3 months later...

Archived