Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Im New

Kosh

Hi and welcome to SGL. Try looking to see if you identify some constellations first such as the Plough and just generally finding your way around the sky. Once you have a better understanding of the constellations you can then look for other targets but you will have a better idea where to look.

Peter

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do try M81 and M82 - they are quite easy and both will fit in your field of view with a low power eyepiece. Draw an imaginary line from Merak through Dhube (in Uma) and follow it for the same distance they are apart. You'll see them easily together in a low power wide angle eyepiece (around 28-30mm). Two galaxies together - one face on and the other side on. :)

Hi Kosh & Welcome to SGL. Great advice you have been given.  I also use on my phone SkEye & Sky & Telescope Sky Week which I find very good.  Sky & Telescope tells you  by the week what's on view, where to find it, then you can click on view and will bring up the sky map and  name  the various constellations/stars.  (Obviously there is more to view than this, but it is a good guide) Download it and try it in the comfort of your house first.

Forgot to say, when using the app outside there is a night vision button you can click, it turns the print & Sky maps to red so you don't lose your "night vision". The app is free.

Hi kosh,

I am a bit of a newby too, what helped me was using the planisphere, u can get one on ebay and they dont break the bank, I have got two scopes one is none goto and the other is, I kind of play one of against the other and then use the star chart to see where/what am looking at, hope this is helps a bit, ure on the right place anyway as the knowledge here is great, happy gazing.

Jamie

Archived