NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What are you imaging tonight (Sunday)?

Russe

Hi guys,

Just setting everything up. A gorgeous day in South Wales.

What are you planning on imaging tonight with the moon high in the sky?

Since I don't have a Ha filter, I shall go for a GC - working on my Messier list...

M53 is up methinks.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Galaxies with the moon up might be difficult. It'll swallow up the faint outer arms. Believe me, I've tried... The difference is tremendous!!

Unless you'd do NB... Haven't got any filter for my Canon. Don't know if it's worth it anyhow.

Like Jarrod I am all imaged out having been out in the Sun today. I didn't intend to be out for so long, but the intermittent cloud had other ideas! Otherwise I might have been tempted to image our lovely Moon.

If it actually stays clear then I'll be imaging whatever passes my east-facing window... Not much of interest until the early hours. Might possibly have a go at the dumbbell nebula :)

Louise

Hmm... looks like it will be a clear Glasgow night! between about 01:30 and 05:00. Long night ahead, with coffee  :laugh: But I'd forgotten about the moon so might have to go for clusters instead. Again. Oh well, see how it goes.

Gah! I'm not sure anything's going to be visible through the murk overhead. It's clear but there is so much scattered light from the near full moon that there's nothing visible below mid second mag.

I found an interesting target... pity it's cloudy. Anyway, looking at Starry night and using my FOV overlays it appears I can frame both M53 and ngc5053 - that's two globulars for the price of one :)  Star clusters are good targets for when there's a moon wiping other fainter stuff out. Maybe tomorrow night.

TwoGlobs_zpsc0f212bb.jpg

ChrisH

I found an interesting target... pity it's cloudy. Anyway, looking at Starry night and using my FOV overlays it appears I can frame both M53 and ngc5053 - that's two globulars for the price of one :) Star clusters are good targets for when there's a moon wiping other fainter stuff out. Maybe tomorrow night.

TwoGlobs_zpsc0f212bb.jpg

ChrisH

That's exactly what I'm freezing my fingers off for...

Given it up as a bad job. There's so much scattered light from the moon that even clusters are no-go. I hate London. If it's not LP it's general dust and stuff in the air.

Archived