NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Oh dear..is this the end of my astronomy..?!!

emadmoussa

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Emad,

I really feel for you, it can be a very upsetting experience.

You said something about moving sometime back (Low cost home ownership?) - have you changed your mind?

Might be an opportune time to make a fresh start.   :)

Oh my!!! That's just pathetic .....how is that a shield?!!!

I've got a different type of lights though...the ones you have there are similar to the one we have on the main road, not near our house. They're slightly yellow-ish, aren't they??

Emad,

I really feel for you, it can be a very upsetting experience.

You said something about moving sometime back (Low cost home ownership?) - have you changed your mind?

Might be an opportune time to make a fresh start.   :)

We're buying the house nextdoor actually...if it works at all..fingers crossed. I'm determined to fight to the last drop of blood for my right to observe even if this means taking the council to court.

Generally the sky above them is darker now...but if you're very near, or they're in your way especially if   relatively higher than your observing position they could be a massive pain.

Here's the photo of what my street looks like in front of my house...

post-27451-0-55323700-1397139607_thumb.j

It might be worth recording what your current state of LP is with a camera or video then do the same when the new lights gets switched on at least you will have evidence.

Alan

As for the front of the house I already had it recorded, and LP is much better...then again my house is slightly higher than the streets in front of it. The back garden on the other hand is lower than the street.

If they are installing a LED lamp you might find they light is directed down far better than the current light

they are not (well mine is not...), that was the line i was told from the council before they were installed...

The new LED lights do seem to be better. They're fitting them all over Hampshire and Dorset now. Much less upward glow than the old sodium ones. In fact, the regulations state they must not radiate upwards at all. The height of the things is the big problem.

Not LED or not downwards pointing?

Did you try using a screen around you while observing?!!

they are led and i was told they would direct the light more downwards, they illuminate my garden and bedroom even more so i dont know how they work that one out?

ill take a pic when the flood light is on tonight so you can see for yourself :(

they are led and i was told they would direct the light more downwards, they illuminate my garden and bedroom even more so i dont know how they work that one out?

ill take a pic when the flood light is on tonight so you can see for yourself :(

Can you see the sky OK if you put your hand up against the light? I noticed with the current LEDs I can do that...

As frustrating as light pollution can be, and street lamps play a big part in that, along with Overpowering security lighting,

which in my opinion is more of an ally to a would be criminal than a deterrent.

That said, as well as encouraging  acts of destruction via threads/ posts on this form, which will inevitably lead to prolonged, or even permanent bans for those who do advocate it,

Damaging public property, ie Street lamps, will also have a very negative effect on those Councils who might otherwise have looked favourably upon request for help in reducing the intrusion of some lighting.

There are many instances of such assistance been given to amateur astronomers, but for such cooperation to flourish, it requires victims of pollution to be sensible, and not take matters into their own hands.

Now, we are aware that many negative suggestions that are made on these boards are tongue in cheek, and not meant to be seriously acted upon. However, unfortunately, there are some who might take suggestions as

a licence to carry out such acts, and on those grounds, Admin. would prefer members to refrain from making comments regarding damaging any form of lighting, council owned, or otherwise.

On the whole, the vast majority of amateurs are intelligent and perfectly sensible, and law abiding, but, there are a few who find it difficult to control there baser instincts, so those must be extra careful, or suffer the consequences.

The Administrators of SGL, are decent honourable ordinary working guys, who have constructed and protected this Astronomy forum for very many years now, and it has grown at a rate of knots consistently over the years, and the main reason is their determination to keep it comfortable and safe for everyone, Individuals, Families, Internationals from many countries, all races and creeds are welcome here.

All people have to do to stay in this huge family of like minded astronomers, is to stay within the rules as laid out in the Code Of Conduct, which is situated Top Right, just below your forum Name.

My fingers are sore from typing this, so please don't let it be in vain, and read it and live your forum life by it. and most of all respect each other, and enjoy being here.

Ron.

While i have lights to the rear and front of the property, their position is such that I have a couple of spots in the garden that are still in shadow, my main problem is night glow from the town centre of swadlincote. I am hoping the leds that are appearing will cut down the sky glow, but on the flip side if the two lights that affect me go higher it could be a nightmare....

I've lived in this house for 26 years and I doubt we will ever move so I have to make the best of a bad lot

I hadn't thought about approaching the council but if thats the best they can do (the screen) I don't think I'll bother
other than to ask about having the lights off in the early hours as it really is very quiet with no through traffic
only residents taking there dog out occasionally

Emad, as shown in tingtin44 pictue that shield is not much use, but I recall there are shields that can be fitted to the back of the lamp or fit on the back of a post and run downwards a bit, this will not interfere with light being projected onto a street, but would help somewhat with it spilling back towards you.  See for example here for some protoypes that have been considered

Lighting%20Model-1.png

I think the only way, as I have been doing with the council here with regard to one of my lamps post is to keep it constructive, instead of bashing and writing a complaints letter which could get things started on the wrong foot. Thankfully, I can hide from the lamppost I have in various spots quite well in my reasonably sized garden and fences, and the one lamp post I suffer from is a good distance way, but shielding woud help me for sure.

So far the council have been quite cooperative, though they mentioned I may need to pay 50 - 100 pounds for a more customised solution. I am on a waiting list to be done and for someone to come around to look at it and implement something.

Archived