Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where do you stick your 2nd finderscope?

My Telrad has just arrived, had a play as one does, I am wondering if there are advantages or preferences for reasons I have not thought of yet where you stick your second finder on the Dob?

I quite liked it between the eye piece and the original finder scope but a little further back, is that a stupid place to stick it?

The easy answer is to put it where you feel most comfortable, where you will gain easy viewing access and making sure it is reachable as such over the whole viewing area. If you use the tape supplied to fit it, remember that it is quite strong and is not so easy to redo once it is located. Take it outside (yes laughable in this weather) and give it some thought by holding it in various parts of the scope until you are happy that is what you want. :-)

This is, of course, one of the best reasons for getting a Rigel. It fits between the focuser and finderscope.

Agreed. The Telrad is a great finder but has a large footprint (it's mostly air inside !). The Rigel is very nearly as good functionally but is more suitable for smaller tubes due to it's compact base dimensions.

I did take the finder scope off when the Telrad went on, with the Reflector i had 2 bases there were either side of the focuser, just swapped the Telrad to the base on top, now i use a SCT C11 the FOV is mostly NE to SE so it went in the best viewing position for these angles, the Finder Scope is back but has a lodestar inserted....The dew shield for the Telrad is a piece of Cell Foam with Velcro pads attached the pads on the Cell Foam have staples through them as the adhesive didn't always want to stay stuck......

006SCOPE_OBBYVIEW.jpg

I think the best way to get around this problem is to order one of these..

post-35125-0-92465800-1396456620.jpg

I'm going to construct one myself, some welding and metal, fairly easy

Otherwise...a Telrad riser..

I made one myself from an old test-tube rack

alternatively I mounted the Telrad base on top of the finderscope holder

post-35125-0-69728200-1396456669.jpg

post-35125-0-19305700-1396456704.jpg

I did however remove the finderscope, and fastened the Telrad base with a bolt and double sided

sticky tape (the sticky tape by itself was enough, but I didn't want to take a chance)...so I can no

longer use my finder scope.

But, you don't have to use the bolt...you can flatten the top of the finderscope holder (grind it down)

But this means messing with your scope's hardware.

You can also try an source a PVC pipe of roughly the same diameter as your finderscope holder.

Saw the tube in half, flatten the (PVC) top and use double sided sticky tape to stick it onto the

finderscope holder..

Perhaps temporarily fix your telrad base onto the ota with PVC tape and try out on a few sessions, re-positioning if necessary. I asked a similar question, as I too was a little undecided on placement related to which side of the focuser. I used the scope for four sessions before I finally fixed the base with the supplied sticky tape. Anyhow I am a heavy user of the telrad and very light user of a finder scope and may yet change the position, so that it is on the eyepiece side, as I find this more accessible. I happen though to have a spare base plate with tape for this purpose.  

Archived