Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar magnetic twister tear off a big quiescent prominence in halpha

AstroWolvy

The sky was not entirely clear and I hoped for a good seeing with the absence of winds, and in fact in the first half hour watching at the eyepiece was significantly better than the last attempts of this year 2014, but still far from the standard to which I was accustomed a year ago.
I then made ​​some capture at lower focal on prominences and main formations and then decided to capture the evolution of the one that seems most interesting, a beautiful tree shape quiescent prominence, it was persistent for several hours, but
get involved by a magnetic twister born from the next active region. During the shooting the left side of the prominence was teared off by a magnetic vortex which disturbs the structure turning it around horizontally, while the right side, out of the reach of turbulent magnetic field, it remains inactive and almost untouched.

Unfortunately the seeing was quite terrible as soon I started to image but I was interested in the prominence evolution so I continued filming it; even if the details are blured the movements of the plasma is clear and understandable.

Images taken with a custom 150 truss refractor using a Daystar h-alpha filter at a focal of 2500mm, the video show 1 hour of real time.

Video

magnetic-twister.jpg

Waiting for better times I hope you like it, I attach also some shots made ​​in the beginning when the details were at least partially visible.

13171727305_fc35154cef_n_d.jpg 13171724805_10285713cb_n_d.jpg 13176289435_7d0e479b66_n_d.jpg 13176238355_e0ffa6286e_n_d.jpg

Archived