NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

1st real attempt at M42 - how can I control the star bloat?

Hi

Here's my first real attempt at a processed M42 image - my main interest is video astronomy and I've used a Samsung SDC 435 and more recently a Lodestar-C  with reasonable success.

However give the lack of opportunities for getting out under the stars, I thought I'd have a go at processing the data I capture.

I'm limited in exposure time as I'm operating in AZ mode - the data for this image was captured using a humble Synscan AZ mount (my iOptron was in for repair although this is still AZ).

M42

Equipment:

INED70 with F6.3 reducer operating at about 315mm (F4.5)

Lodestar-C OSC

Skywatcher Synscan AZ mount 

Baader IR block filter

Processed in Nebulosity 3

Stretched in Photoshop CS2 using multiple curves & overlay the core

I've tried to pull as much of the nebulosity out as possible but this has lead to significant star bloat.

I tried using a star mask as shown in several tutorials, however as there is nebulosity around many of the stars I ended up with circles around the stars so I settle for no star mask in the end.

I also had trouble trying to blend the shorter exposure of the core into the main image - getting the colour and brightness to match required some trial and error.

Any advice on how to tackle the star bloat, circles around stars and blending different exposures would be most welcome.

Finally I left the colour as it came of the CCD - I'm not sure I've seen M42 quite this colour before, is there any reference I could use to tweak it or should I just be happy with what I get.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Clear skies

Paul

Archived