Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My new Tak grab and go - first light

So after much umming and erring I decided treat myself to an FC-100DF, see the attached pic. It arrived today and I couldn't resist setting it up including adding a fine focuser to it. After a hour or so of playing I popped my head outside and was surprised to see some clear skies. So off I went to give my first tak a go. I'm not experienced but first impressions were very good. Cooled down quickly and had a nice view of Jupiter although it didn't seem to be taking much magnification - I tried 150x but it was a bit much and I got the nicest views at 110x. Also got my first ever view of Mars which was special. Stars were also very nice and sharp. No noticeable false colour imo. Very pleased with the focuser, the fine focused worked well.

I'm probably deceiving myself since it's new, but I think it better than my tv85 and ed120 (despite less aperture). In addition to the lovely views, it's also very light (3.5kg) and my porta 2 handles it nicely, hence it's a grab and go. Finally I'm v happy I went for the Df version which has a bigger focuser. Although a bit heavily it has much more focus travel and I had no problems getting it into focus with all the eyepieces I tried - I think I may have struggled with the DC version which has only 1 inch of focus travel.

All in all I'm very happy and looking forward to a longer try out soon.

Gavin

post-28747-0-63066700-1393980901_thumb.j

I've been thinking of getting a quality four inch refractor for the last twelve months and have been curious about this scope compared to the tsa.

Looks hansom, you must be feeling happy as can be right now.

Funny thing I was considering this scope on a EM11 and in the last couple of days members here have posted on new arrivals for both.

I am weakening by the day.

Thank you for your nice comments. Olly, I'd really like to go to your dark site one day, persuading my partner may be a bit tricky at the moment!

I did also consider a TSA, which although I haven't looked through one, I guess may have slightly better colour correction. However, as I only do visual this wasn't as critical.

After thinking about my priorities (and also based on my existing scopes), I decided that easy set up and mounting was key for me so that I could easily have short observing moments when the opportunity arises (not that often with my one year old daughter). I really like my ED120, but I found setting it up on my MiniTower 2 takes too much time for a quick look and my TV85 didn't quite give enough magnification on the planets (for my eyes anyway).

After last night's outing, I think the FC100d covers both these points being easy to set up, very light (so easy to mount) and yet still easily go up to 150x when the seeing is good (with a 5mm eyepiece and 0.7 exit pupil, which is about the lowest I am comfortable with before it gets too dark/floaters etc). Jupiter was really beginning to show some details beyond the 2 main cloud belts and even Mars showed some surface detail (albeit limited)

Gavster.

I would be curious to hear your comparison between the 120ed and the fc-100 in a few months time when you have got to know the tak. For an undecided like me it would be helpful. So do right up a review as there is little information about the new fc-100 and given you also do or have owned a tv85 and a 120ed it would be something that plenty of members hete could relate to.

Nakedgun.

Any opinions you have would be helpful also. Fancy posting a review in the review section?

Yes I'm keen to do a side by side of the 120ed vs fc100d, it will be interesting to see how much the aperture difference makes.

However I agree I should take a bit of time to get used to the tak. I'll try my best to give a useful comparison but am no expert....

StarryEyed,

I posted a brief impression of it under this forum 28 Oct, titled "New 100 for those looking". Not sure how to link to it, from here.

For a variety of reasons, I've done no observing with it since then.

I posted more info about it on Cloudy Nights, but that site's recent overhaul doesn't allow access to old posts, just now. 

An initial impressive from me is that the Tak does what I want it to - ie provide broadly similar views to the 120ED (which I prefer will need to wait for a side by side), but in a light-weight easy to mount grab and go form. The TV85 is a very nice grab and go, but for me doesn't give the same views on planets.

• 11 months later...

Finally I'm v happy I went for the Df version which has a bigger focuser. Although a bit heavily it has much more focus travel and I had no problems getting it into focus with all the eyepieces I tried - I think I may have struggled with the DC version which has only 1 inch of focus travel.

Gavin

Interesting Gavin !

I was just wondering about the DC & DF versions of these scopes & looks like you answered it here.  Which EP's did you try out with the Tak? 

• 10 months later...

Jabeoo1, sorry I missed your post earlier this year, but regarding eyepieces for reference, I have Televue Delos 4.5mm - 14mm, Pentax XW 3.5mm - 30mm, Leica Zoom, Ethos 17mm, and Vixen LVW 5mm - 22mm (ie too many and one of my New Year resolutions will be to sell most of these). All worked really well with the FC100DF.

I have also just bought a Baader Mark V binoviewer and 11mm Delites, but haven't tried these yet due to appalling weather, so am hoping I can get these into focus with the 1.25 GPC.

Gavin

And just a quick update on the Tak after having it for 18 months - fantastic!! I've had my best views ever of planets and M42 with it. Hopefully Tak will extend the FC range in due course. Still haven't done a side by side with my ED120 due to limited time with two young children (grab and go only real possibility at the moment), but hopefully in 2016.

And just a quick update on the Tak after having it for 18 months - fantastic!! I've had my best views ever of planets and M42 with it. Hopefully Tak will extend the FC range in due course. Still haven't done a side by side with my ED120 due to limited time with two young children (grab and go only real possibility at the moment), but hopefully in 2016.

Like Gavin my FC100DC has given me the best consistently good views of the planets and brighter DSO's, including M42, that I've ever seen. Along side my Equinox 120ED the little Tak was just more vibrant, giving better definition and contrast than the 120 ED. As a consequence, I decided the FC100 was the better scope optically and so I sold my 120. I loved my Equinox 120 but despite the extra aperture, the higher optical quality of the Tak fluorite just had the edge on everything.

Mike

• 11 months later...

"So after much umming and erring I decided treat myself to an FC-100DF" Gavster.March.2014

I replied.

"'I've been thinking of getting a quality four inch refractor for the last twelve months"

Lets pretend its already Jan 2017. that's means I have been thinking about this for four years now. So to coin a phrase. 

After much umming and erring I decided treat myself to an FC-100DF.

Kevin.

5 minutes ago, StarryEyed said:

"So after much umming and erring I decided treat myself to an FC-100DF" Gavster.March.2014

I replied.

"'I've been thinking of getting a quality four inch refractor for the last twelve months"

Lets pretend its already Jan 2017. that's means I have been thinking about this for four years now. So to coin a phrase. 

After much umming and erring I decided treat myself to an FC-100DF.

Kevin.

You know it makes sense Kevin :) 

Archived