SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Camping Scope

Looking into buying a small portable scope for weekends away in a touring caravan, I have the chance of a StarTravel 102 but could someone explain if the 120 would be a better choice.

Compared to my 150pl I understand there is going to be a huge difference in viewing but while away for weekends i,m just looking for something small and portable to keep at the van, we will be going away regular on weekends and it would be a real shame to miss out on any "dark sites" we may visit

Only interested in the actual scope as I already have a mount and tripod.

Not had my 150PL scope for too long so for now i,m not wanting to spend too much as i,m looking into upgrading eyepieces.

Comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

George.

Nice one looks like a contender, as you can appreciate a small scope is needed for caravaning and with this still all new to me, its another one to add to my list of possibilities.

As mentioned earlier I quiet fancy a small refractor but everyone tells you "aperture is king" so for a small portable can the Heritage 130 p be beaten on price and size?

My vote would be for the WO Megrez 72. Easy and portable and lovely crisp views, great wide field too. Can pick them up for around £250 second hand. I actually got mine for £120-absolute bargain. Great little scope in my opinion :)

+1 for the ST80. I love mine. I got it specifically for taking to Spain. The tube fits inside handluggage, tripod and EQ1 in the big case in the hold. At £125 it's not end of the world if something happens to it. Great optics and I can stick a DSLR on the end to take snaps. I gather they have a second life as guidescopes for astrophotography, so quite sought after second hand too.

The st102 is a great little scope.. but not as little as you might imagine. I use it as a grab and go. Stick it in a backpack, mount over the shoulder via a wide strap and jump on my push iron. It's just manageable like this if I'm cycling a couple of miles or less. Great wide fov for DSOs, good contrast and colour... pretty Rubbish on planets. The purple fringing around anything bright is pretty horrendous, though doesn't kill the view completely. Used for the right things, it's fantastic.

Some great suggestions above. Have you considered a "camping mount" though to complement? I find the AZ4 mount to be very good indeed when camping. The tripod goes in the boot, the head goes in a footwell and the OTA (in this case an Evostar 90) goes on the parcel shelf.

It takes 2 minutes to set up, no electronics, no polar alignment, wonderful for sweeping the summer milkyway at low power and will also do high power if the moon happens to be out.

Any of the refractors mentioned above will work well on it.

I love camping with a small scope, just sitting there sky sweeping, with a cheeky beer perhaps.

I'm thinking of a skywatcher 80ed although would like to be able to stretch to an equinox! Going camping in the French alps this summer and desperately want to take something v portable with us

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived