Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope shelter?

These is the latest pic of this shelter project. It working well for me and helping a lot avoid further damage to my back :-) the view is restricted to the west but good north, East and South.

It now has a dedicated cement tiles surface and I've installed some rubber foam tiles to help minimise damage to falling eyepieces, etc.

ygu6y8u7.jpg

Glad it worked out, seems like an excellent option for sheltering a scope; I'm still considering it.

Edit: Have you had any issues with condensation inside the cover ??

Edited by L8-Nite
  • Like 2

Excellent! Quite recently I posted a Heads Up pointing to folding garages as a solution to semi permanent setups. I came across them simply because I have a nice little car which I'd like to keep for a long time but with no garage. I have plenty of observatories but I thought, 'Observatory' as soon as I saw them. I'm really pleased you've given them a try. I sent my thoughts to an astro supplier, too. I wouldn't be surprized to see an astro-dedicated version of this idea appear at some point. I really reckon that this has a lot to offer.

Olly

• Like 1

When I found these up in eb*y I thought it was astonishing there was no mention of them in these forums. I just hope the sellers do not overprice them. The fabric/Oxford canvas is good enough (so far) but the color has faded in the summer sun. It works great as a wind shield on cold nights. For less than £190 you can't possibly get something so functional for observing the skies.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just to follow on this topic: The bike shed was badly torn during the strong winds we recently had. Over the last 1.5 years it took a greyish appearance. I didn't bother to find out if UV was having a go at it but at the end the wind did it. I ordered a cover replacement and hope to be back in business soon. Also, I bought a fan that I keep running on a timer when it's very humid (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heavy-Duty-Upright-Electric-Heater/dp/B000N2HDZK). This helps fight condensation issues I've been having.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...