Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC410 - Tadpoles in mono

swag72

I have waited for weeks to be able to get this image - The weather has really driven me to distraction. I would like to add some colour to this, but it really does depend on the weather.

Would welcome any comments you have on this, it's a little bit of a departure from my normal imaging.

M: Avalon Linear Fast Reverse

T: Celestron C9.25 0.63x

C: Atik 460EXM with 3nm Ha filter

15x1800s (2x 2 binned)

Total integration time - 7.5 hours

post-5681-0-30070900-1391419693_thumb.jp

A larger version can be found here http://swagastro.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/3/7/23377322/tadpoles_2.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice, smooth but excellent contrast.  The Astrodon filter seems to impart almost 3D to your images.

Chris

Thanks Chris :smiley:

Ooh you've moved to longer FL & @ 1800s! Looks like you've taken to it with ease.. Looks great how did you find the move?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to say that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Collimation wasn't the scary thing I had developed in my mind and the processing side wasn't as difficult as I thought either. It's nice to have a different focal length, with this and the FSQ85.

That is sweet Sara.  Is that guided with a separate guide scope?  You must have your mount purring...

So are you going to go narrowband or HaRGB?

Thanks Ian - I'm using an OAG with this. Didn't even try the separate finder guider that I have. That's stayed on the Tak so I have minimal fuss to swap in and out. I'm thinking of a bi colour with OIII, but it does depend on the weather to be honest.

... snip

I have to say that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Collimation wasn't the scary thing I had developed in my mind and the processing side wasn't as difficult as I thought either. It's nice to have a different focal length, with this and the FSQ85.

Any particular reason for choosing the Celestron (is it the EdgeHD?) I've been dithering over an 8" RC for a while but you've got me thinking now!

It's not the EDGE version, just the XLT. I was umming and ahhing over the same thing, but in the end the lack of diffraction spikes won me over. Can't stand them and there's none with the SCT :grin: simples :grin:

Ah that's what I wondered. The spikes are one of the reasons I've held back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful Sara and great to see you creating top quality images with lots of new equipment. Inspirational as ever. A longer focal length scope is on my shopping list and looking at this result puts your choice of scope (especially with the spike-less fact) on the list...

It's not the EDGE version, just the XLT. I was umming and ahhing over the same thing, but in the end the lack of diffraction spikes won me over. Can't stand them and there's none with the SCT :grin: simples :grin:

Wow - OK!  So are you using a reducer / flattener (or is it a coma corrector you need?)  Looks good anyway!

You've got the contrast absolutely spot on, as usual.  It's easy to blow out the heads of the tadpoles, but you've controlled the dynamic range beautifully.

Excellent image Sara, in terms of detail & resolution this is one of the best versions of the tadpoles in IC410 that I've seen. All credit to you as well for getting to grips so quickly with the long FL scope, I always thought these were quite a handful!

Martin

When you see the big version and look at the detail in the Tadpoles themselves you realize what a super result this is. We're used to depth and serious integration time from Sara but long FL high resolution is something new and I can't imagine anybody getting more out of the setup than this. Truly a splendid result.

How are you focusing, Sara? I can't remember. Crayford, or Feathertouch adapter for the moving mirror?

Olly

Thankyou all for your comments.

I have to say that at the minute I'm not bowled over with the focal length, I didn't realise how I liked the wider field. But I'm sure that galaxy season will be fun!!

@Gav - You may need to think about a mount change for a longer focal length. I'm certain that the HEQ5 will not cope with it. 

@Ian - I'm using the Celestron 0.63x reducer.

@Martin - It really wasn't quite the handful I was expecting to be honest.

@Olly - This is just the normal little focussing knob on the back of the scope. I suppose that it may be a Crayford, but it's all standard and single speed. I've been surprised at just how easy it is to focus and how well it holds it's focus. 

Thankyou all for your comments.

I have to say that at the minute I'm not bowled over with the focal length, I didn't realise how I liked the wider field. But I'm sure that galaxy season will be fun!!

@Gav - You may need to think about a mount change for a longer focal length. I'm certain that the HEQ5 will not cope with it. 

@Ian - I'm using the Celestron 0.63x reducer.

@Martin - It really wasn't quite the handful I was expecting to be honest.

@Olly - This is just the normal little focussing knob on the back of the scope. I suppose that it may be a Crayford, but it's all standard and single speed. I've been surprised at just how easy it is to focus and how well it holds it's focus. 

Not a Crayford. This is the moving mirror focusing device which just drags the primary up and down the tube. They have a bad reputation but have been getting better chez Celestron. My Meade ones have been awful. Whatever, your is working, clearly, since you have nice crisp focus. The actuating mechanism for the mirror can be enhanced by Feathertouch should you ever feel the need, but it it ain't broke... Alternatively you can lock up the mirror and put a conventinal focuser on the back since SCTs have so much back focus.

Olly

I don't think I'll change this focuser to be honest Olly - I was thinking that I would probably need to, but it holds focus like a dream - Shows how little I know, didn't even have a clue how the focuser works :grin: My mate is making me a fine focus wand, but I really don't think I'll need it. We'll see how it goes - Perhaps this was a fluke :grin:

Not a Crayford. This is the moving mirror focusing device which just drags the primary up and down the tube. They have a bad reputation but have been getting better chez Celestron. My Meade ones have been awful. Whatever, your is working, clearly, since you have nice crisp focus. The actuating mechanism for the mirror can be enhanced by Feathertouch should you ever feel the need, but it it ain't broke... Alternatively you can lock up the mirror and put a conventinal focuser on the back since SCTs have so much back focus.

Olly

Not so easy to use a conventional focuser when imaging Olly - the focuser itself eats up an awful lot of that backfocus and when you add in the OAG and filter wheel....  I have a lovely moonlite for my Edge but it doesn't get used for imaging.

I don't think I'll change this focuser to be honest Olly - I was thinking that I would probably need to, but it holds focus like a dream - Shows how little I know, didn't even have a clue how the focuser works :grin: My mate is making me a fine focus wand, but I really don't think I'll need it. We'll see how it goes - Perhaps this was a fluke :grin:

No if it works it works. One of the old bits of advice is to be sure to make your final focus a pushing of the mirror up the tube. If your last action is to let it come down the tube it may not come all the way but settle a little later. I don't know which way round Celestrons work but it would be easy to find out.

Olly

A stunning image Sara - fantastic detail and really smooth.

I'm intrigued by your use of the C9.25. I have one, which I use for lunar and planetary work with a Baader Steeltrack focuser hung on the back.....and it's a cracker, but I've never tried DSO imaging with it. How did you get on with the spacing from the reducer to the chip? I assume you had an FW and an OAG in there?

Cheers

Steve

I must say I'm well impressed with this. When I started out I had a Meade SCT & quickly got the 80ED before I gave up. Now you've seriously got me thinking again.

Have you done any RGB tests with it Sara? I should probably start a thread instead of hijacking yours sry..

Not so easy to use a conventional focuser when imaging Olly - the focuser itself eats up an awful lot of that backfocus and when you add in the OAG and filter wheel....  I have a lovely moonlite for my Edge but it doesn't get used for imaging.

Shame. One of our regulars uses a Moonlite on his ACF. The reducer moves in the drawtube to maintain chip distance.

Olly

Archived