Heads up: Explore Scientific Ultra Light Dobsonian 305mm

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree Gerry.

I remember having a conversation at Scope 'n' Skies about why they had so many odd Skywatcher bits. It turned out that Optical Vision (the UK importer of Skywatcher) would order a given quantity of Skywatcher products, but if China had stuffed (amongst everything else) twenty Dob bases in a container, but run out of room at 10 OTAs, that was that - They'd shut the doors and not send the OTAs. S'n'S took the 'extras' off OVL, whose RRPs accounted for the inevitable dead stock.

ES Europe are clearly going about this the right way. There's nothing to be gained in having teething troubles about a new product smothering it at birth, even if it means eveybody has to wait a week longer - That delay will soon be forgotten as in astro, products can be very long lived. The internet on the other hand, has a history of elevating small issues into a life long horror story. Tassilo Bohm was very much involved in the birth of the ES Dobs, so it's no surprise that he wants to oversee his babies as they take their first steps in the world.

Russell

Russell, I have a gut feeling this product is going to do well. If the design works well, and even if it is has a few flaws that can be worked out in earlier models, the weight is a winner for the aperture size you get. Portability and weight to turn these large Dobs into more easily manageable packages at an affordable price is the way I can see it going forward, opening them up to a larger market and make them a more tempting buy. The lightbridge weighs like a house in comparison even if it ticks that similar cost box.

It will be interesting to see what answers others come up with in time to come in that similar price range. If the design is stable and works well I do sort of see it a little bit like ES putting down a bit of a gauntlet to the competition and saying, this is what you can pack into 35 kilos for 2000 euros, a 16 inch Dob, beat that :-0)

zooming in on those ES photos it looks like huge potential to cross the threads with repeated assembly/dis-assembly  e.g. zooming in on the 4th photo on their website at the truss tube connection.  Not the only truss tube scopes to do that but it seems reasonable to expect a longer life from ones that don't (e.g. the Telescope Service UP's).  Very nice design though.

• 2 weeks later...

Back on topic. Seeing how this thread died out, I guess not a single unit has been shipped out yet?

Not as yet and I am getting cross now.

The last coms I had, suggested they should be here by now but since then - nothing.

A real snotty e-mail got sent last night. We'll see if it has any effect as so far - no more updates.

i dont see why the advertise them when there not ready to be shipped out. hope you get it sorted soon Tom

Heh hope you have a tick skin. I pointed this out already last month! Especially since they advertise it on their website as in stock, ready to ship out. When it clearly is not the case.

I got instantly mowed down by the mob squad lol. :police:

Heh hope you have a tick skin. I pointed this out already last month! Especially since they advertise it on their website as in stock, ready to ship out. When it clearly is not the case.

I got instantly mowed down by the mob squad lol. :police:

LOL :boxing:

Not as yet and I am getting cross now.

The last coms I had, suggested they should be here by now but since then - nothing.

A real snotty e-mail got sent last night. We'll see if it has any effect as so far - no more updates.

6-weeks is a long time to wait for an "in stock" item.

Expect it to arrive just before the clocks to go back.

I thought 5-days to dispatch the MaxVisions from the warehouse was poor form.

They could lose a few sales over this.

The price is irrelevant if you can't buy it.

looks a bit too national geographic for my liking 24% central obstruction as well

They do seem to have adopted the National Geographic colour scheme, which is perhaps not such a good thing. But 24% CO is okay.

Ive just been advised by Tassilo, the man who makes things work (I think) that my scope is due to ship out on Monday.

Fingers crossed :grin:

Did it arrive yet ? the suspense is killing me and I'm not even buying one (yet) :)

Dave

Archived