Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Epoxy Resin for fixing pier bolts in concrete?

Fordos Moon

Hi all,

Tonight I have been researching resin to fix my pier anchor bolts in a concrete block?

I presume it will be a two part epoxy?

But struggling to locate something in a small quantity (4 holes to fill) in the UK?

Did any of you find something suitable from any of the usual suppliers or ebay perhaps?

Many thanks

Bob

I've always used the Fischer resins , never had a failure in 25 years ... available from here ... http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-polyester-styrene-free-resin-300ml/23386

Just make sure the holes are clean and dust free and that the bolts are cleaned and grease free , fill the holes 2/3 full and wind the bolts in to fill the threads.

Get every thing prepared beforehand as you only get one go with each nozzle , a spare is always a good idea , and keep the tube warm before use (20 degrees or so) as it takes what seems like forever to set in cold weather , with a warm tube it'll be off in 5 minutes but leave for an hour or so before tightening anything down.

Alternatively try Multi-Monti concrete screws , fantastic fixings , just drill the correct sized pilot and wind them in , job done .

http://www.screwfix.com/p/multi-monti-hex-head-shield-anchors-12-x-140mm-drill-size-10-pack-of-25/44307

Can be bought individually from a decent ironmonger in a variety of sizes.

Used to fix railway tracks to concrete sleepers so plenty strong enough for piers , removable too if required.

Edited by Steve Ward
  • Like 1

These will screw (4 of them) into concrete tighten them down so the nut and washer are at the bottom of the thread, then put a nut and washer on each one place the base of a pier on the 4 threads then another nut and washer to hold the pier in place, you can then adjust the height of the nuts and washers to get the pier up right, if your pier base has more hole then add the rawbolts, use a piece of 1/4" ply as a template, your holding your pier in place the same way the giant wind turbines are held just bolted round the base into a concrete block.... :)

http://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/en/categories/stainless-steel-through-bolt-fixings

Edited by Tinker1947
  • Like 1

I've always used the Fischer resins , never had a failure in 25 years ... available from here ... http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-polyester-styrene-free-resin-300ml/23386

Yes, I always use a polyester resin for fixing bolts into concrete. Not necessarily the Fischer brand, though.

It does set pretty quick, so you have to have your wits about you (and all the parts, too). The nozzles contain a criss-cross plastic insert to mix the resin and the hardener. After one job, the resin in the nozzle will set solid, so you want to do all your holes one after the other - so have them all pre-drilled.

• Like 1

Yes, I always use a polyester resin for fixing bolts into concrete. Not necessarily the Fischer brand, though.

It does set pretty quick, so you have to have your wits about you (and all the parts, too). The nozzles contain a criss-cross plastic insert to mix the resin and the hardener. After one job, the resin in the nozzle will set solid, so you want to do all your holes one after the other - so have them all pre-drilled.

I used a similar adhesive to bolt down a greenhouse base to a concrete base back in 2002. As far as I know it's still there.
  • Like 1

These will screw (4 of them) into concrete tighten them down so the nut and washer are at the bottom of the thread, then put a nut and washer on each one place the base of a pier on the 4 threads then another nut and washer to hold the pier in place, you can then adjust the height of the nuts and washers to get the pier up right, if your pier base has more hole then add the rawbolts, use a piece of 1/4" ply as a template, your holding your pier in place the same way the giant wind turbines are held just bolted round the base into a concrete block.... :)

http://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/en/categories/stainless-steel-through-bolt-fixings

You won't find a wind-turbine held down with those ... 

I wouldn't recommend through-bolts or rawl-bolts into small concrete pads as they exert a very large sideways force when tightened down and can easily burst concrete , especially "home-mixed" material that is generally less consistent or strong as commercial .

If using a mixer nozzle, make sure you dump the first bit out as it does not always mix properly & it won't set. I have had this problem securing machinery down in the past at work. Once the first bit has gone & its mixing well it will be fine.

You won't find a wind-turbine held down with those ... 

I wouldn't recommend through-bolts or rawl-bolts into small concrete pads as they exert a very large sideways force when tightened down and can easily burst concrete , especially "home-mixed" material that is generally less consistent or strong as commercial .

I'd agree with this. Rawlbolts are OK but there is a lot that can go wrong with them. Splitting the pier pad is very possible, especially if you are near the edge of the block.

The chem-fixers are the easiest to use, to be honest. Just make sure that the holes are properly brushed and blown out (wear eye protection). If the bore is dusty then the chemical resin can't adhere to it's best to the concrete.

Caution - I was installing a gun safe the other day and the supplied sleeve anchor bolts would not tighten up in the brick wall, in despairation I thought try some rapid set resin from Screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-vinylester-resin-fast-curing-380ml/43085

and boy was it rapid only got one hole filled before the first mixing nozzel went solid, the second nozzel similar and it then started smoking.

Should have gone for the standard type and save abit of money too.

• Like 1

Or get resin capsules. Like little test tubes with resin in, just slip them into the drill hole and then screw the bolt into it, activating the resin. Don't have to worry about mixing and the applicator getting clogged. Should be able to get them from screwfix and toolstation. Suspect there will even be a youtube video.

I used Thunderbolts http://www.unifix.co.uk/thunderbolt to hold the corner posts of my obsy down. Unlike the expanding bolts you can't easily split the concrete, plus no resin to mess with.

The 'correct' way of course would have been to cast the studding into the plinth! I don't believe these pull out easily....

Img_7329.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 years later...