SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Excited astronomers.

jason.p

I couldn't care less what others think of my hobbies. I once went early to visit the small grassy area on the centre of a large roundabut to photograph roosting orange-tip butterflies. set my tripod up low (cuckoo flower level) and got on my hands and knees to take some great shots. an our or so and several beeps later and I went home happy.

Interesting, whilst observing at a fairly remote spot, two guys turned up who happened to be ecologists. They quietly went about their own business, switching their red head torches on and carefully rooting through the grass, whilst I kept to mine. Yet there felt a sense of kindred spirit.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once started a thread on who must be the biggest nerds - http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/137157-There-must-be-bigger-nerds-than-us?

Just for a bit of fun B)

Anyway I don't think we should feel at all worried about what people think of us, there are far worse. Even, get this, Street Light Enthusiasts!!!!

Yeah I think we're quite cool as it happens :lol:

News readers dont know why we would get exited about these things because they generally dont know much about

the universe in general. Also they always seem to want pick something that they can smile and look smug about

at the end of their programmes (probably for the people who have kept watching for the soccer scores). 

Now Alpha Centuri going Supernova would wipe the smug, self-satisfied grins from their faces, but only after

their researchers had Told them why.

My observing buddy and I often get excited when we find something, like when we photographed comet Lovejoy or the latest supernova.  We will high-five and do a little dance.  This should not be confused with the dance we do most of the time just to keep warm.

I don't think we look nerdy or odd.  After all, what's so unusual about people out in a field at 4am, dressed like michelin men, with red lights on their heads, surrounded by strange looking equipment, listening to 80s music and dancing (badly).

I don't think we look nerdy or odd.  After all, what's so unusual about people out in a field at 4am, dressed like michelin men, with red lights on their heads, surrounded by strange looking equipment, listening to 80s music and dancing (badly).

Nothing at all  :rolleyes:

On a news channel this morning they had an item on the M82 supernova, which they said, had got amateur astronomers excited. This appeared to cause some amusement among the presenters who were wondering what "excited amateur astronomers" would look like. Is that really the image we project, and is it justified? <br />

(Thinking about it, we must seem like a pretty nerdy bunch to the public at large)<br />

<br />

<br />

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk<br />

<br />

I can't see an image in this post, but I guess it's a nerd judging by the replies. I'm no nerd, and wouldn't mind if I was one anyway. Just got into this hobby, and I have to say this hobby is like no other hobbies, you can't compare fishing or gulf to this one. Every person show a little interest in it at least, unlike other hobbies. I showed some of my friends and relatives the moon and Jupiter in the scope and they went wow, yes they may get bored after few minutes and lack the will and patience to setup the mount and scope to track an object, but they will definitely like the results, I can't see them get excited in other hobbies they never tried. Astronomy is not just a hobby, it is part of our lives. We see the stars every day, or at least used to :( , we use them as guidance and gaze at them as they decorate the night sky. 

I prefer to be called a Geek rather than a Nerd :grin: Is there a difference?

nerd-venn-diagram-20110626-192132.jpg

Of course anyone who categorises those by a venn diagram has probably immediately gone into the nerd / geek categories.

I used to visit my local pubs very frequently in my younger days but now I spend my responsible days with my family and scope. I love this hobby and consider myself a Geek. When I have one of my rare visits to the pub now, I get the inevitable Uranus jokes. Whenever my hobby comes up in conversation though I get a lot of questions, letting me to believe there are more of us out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Astronomy can be anything but "nerdish"It is "infinitely" possible to apply the science of astronomy to romantic purpose, and to great effect! This action can circumvent those most troubling definitions quickly and effectively. Of course you must have a way with words, hmmm. To qualify myself I humbly offer the lyrics to a song I wrote, well the first few verses anyway:

"Would you like to spend some time with a starry sky above,

Country space around us we can fill it with our love

Come along with me, it will set you free.

Feel the heavens move and spin around in space

Children in the cosmos touched by the spirits grace

Come along with me, it will set you free."

Chorus...

"Girl I can see the universe

I can see all those stars at play, stars at play.

Girl I can see clear across the whole universe

Take my hand and I'll show you the way."

Now THAT IS APPLIED ASTRONOMY!

Also NERD FREE.

Archived