Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Supernova in M82, anyone seen it yet?

Exciting. Got home rushed to look, cloudy, typical!!! 

Apparently Mag 11 ~ish right now, but might brighten up over the week. Should be visible in >= 6" scope currently, clouds permitting.

Can't wait to try and spot it. I missed the last bright one last year, that was somewhere near Lyra or Lacerta IIRC.

Anyone been able to see it yet?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12.5 million years ago yes. It would be a cold dark remnant now I think(?)

Amazing you saw it, can't wait to have a chance myself. Damn clouds!!! 

Most likely. I think the most recent SN which we can still see the result of today is "The Crab". The Chinese reported seeing it in the 10th century.

Most likely. I think the most recent SN which we can still see the result of today is "The Crab". The Chinese reported seeing it in the 10th century.

Right yes, and that is a lot lot closer so we can see the shell. At 12.5mly when this new fades it will be gone from sight for good.

This new one (has it got a name?) is a type Ia, what was M1 Crab, the same type?

Hmmmm... Sky seemed quite good last night- judging from performance on various objects.

M82 easy to find with "goto"- and I could see it.

BUT no sign of the supernova:-(

And this was with a 6SE.

All I can think is LP as I live in the middle of a city..

Hmmmm... Sky seemed quite good last night- judging from performance on various objects.

M82 easy to find with "goto"- and I could see it.

BUT no sign of the supernova:-(

And this was with a 6SE.

All I can think is LP as I live in the middle of a city..

What magnification were you using? I couldn't see it at x69, but it popped into view with averted vision at x97 and was better at x138. That was with a 4" under rubbish skies.

Stu

What magnification were you using? I couldn't see it at x69, but it popped into view with averted vision at x97 and was better at x138. That was with a 4" under rubbish skies.

Stu

Started off low at x47 using my 32mm "finder" EP then went up progressively, 18mm (x82), 12mm (x125) and topped out at x167 (9mm).

Used averted vision too.

Started off low at x47 using my 32mm "finder" EP then went up progressively, 18mm (x82), 12mm (x125) and topped out at x167 (9mm).

Used averted vision too.

Interesting. What are your skies like? Mine were mag 4.2 NELM when I saw it. Keep trying, it is supposed to be getting brighter

Stu

It might be visible in bins soon, weather and skies permitting. Although where I am seeing M82 in bins is a challenge, but I have spotted it with M81 on a better night.

Closest supernova in 40 years, may last 2weeks, make the most of it! :)

Light curve is likely peaking in the next 2-3 days. So if you've not already seen it, get out there and get observing :)

Weather permitting I'd like to image it properly over the weekend, that probably means solid cloud and rain now...

I had a look from my back yard for it on Saturday night found M82 but couldn't see it due to light pollution hear  :sad:

So next trip out to dark skies in the New Forest hear to see it when we get the next clear night now,   :smiley:.

Weather not looking good hear for the next 5 day's Grrrrrrrrrr :clouds2:.  

tried viewing this again last night, and the seeing was terrible. could get vague sightings of it, but nothing to write home about. Will keep an eye on it...now our street lamps all (well most of them) go off at Midnight until 5 am.

I had to head out to a reservoir to see M82 but still couldn't get the Supernova. Although this was last Thursday so I believe it will have brightened some more since then, just a shame the cloud cover seems permament at night here.

Archived