Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Optics OMC 200

Ending my astronomy spending fast in style :evil:

I'd wanted a decent sized mak for planetary imaging for a while, just to get me up and running before getting a C14 in a few years time. Now, initially I had budgeted my holiday for a lot more than I actually needed to spend, and as it turns out when I did more calculations I had enough for a Mak too, so I initially waited, seeing if a 180 Mak Pro came up for sale second hand, but not actively seeking one. I'd often wanted a OMC200, but was disappointed to see they were discontinued - to me they represent the good quality optics of Orion (UK) while still being reasonably priced. So, when one came up for sale I jumped at the chance, within minutes of the ad being posted :rolleyes:.

So, quite soon I will be the proud owner of an Orion Optics OMC200, the mount might have to wait a bit - it's probably a bit heavy for the AZ4 so it'll have to wait until next months' payday to be mounted. Still, scopes like this don't turn up very often, and don't stay around for very long either. What makes this purchase is that it's from an SGL member (BigMakStutov) that I've bought quite a few things from before.

So excited

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one Jonathan  :smiley:

You don't see much written about those scopes (apart from Stu of course). I believe one of our members (Ian / Lunator ?) has the 10" version and managed to spot Sirus B with it at the SGL star party a few years back. 

Nice one Jonathan  :smiley:

You don't see much written about those scopes (apart from Stu of course). I believe one of our members (Ian / Lunator ?) has the 10" version and managed to spot Sirus B with it at the SGL star party a few years back. 

I know, I tried looking for some info but didn't find much, I did find this beautiful image of Saturn though

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5947573/Main/5924376

:)

It looks like a lovely scope.  I was tempted myself, but I couldn't justify it without selling either the SCT or Mak.  The SCT has more aperture and the Mak is my travel scope, so that wasn't going to happen.

James

It looks like a lovely scope.  I was tempted myself, but I couldn't justify it without selling either the SCT or Mak.  The SCT has more aperture and the Mak is my travel scope, so that wasn't going to happen.

James

What's wrong with 10 telescopes? :D.

The scope I'd find the cash for somehow.  The divorce might be rather more costly :D

There was another positive to it, actually.  At f/20 it would very nicely suit the ASI120MM at its native focal length, which means I could put a filter wheel on the back for RGB planetary imaging without having to faff with a barlow as well.

Maybe one day...

James

Nothing at all.

I'm not using the 4 I have much though and that redundancy is starting to bother me. Do you take yours out 3 at a time ? :smiley:

Or do you get better weather conditions in Leeds than we do down here ?  :smiley:

I'm only kidding  :grin:

If its Stu`s, then its a great scope, the AZ4 will not handle it, my 180 was a struggle on the AZ good luck with it

Yeah, I didn't think the AZ4 would be suitable, it's quite a hefty OTA and with these things it's not usually just the weight that is the problem.

The scope I'd find the cash for somehow.  The divorce might be rather more costly :D

There was another positive to it, actually.  At f/20 it would very nicely suit the ASI120MM at its native focal length, which means I could put a filter wheel on the back for RGB planetary imaging without having to faff with a barlow as well.

Maybe one day...

James

Hopefully not needing a barlow will keep costs down, because I may be tempted into wider fields, since the maximum FOV I can get with my current eyepieces is 0.56 degrees :Envy:.

Nothing at all.

I'm not using the 4 I have much though and that redundancy is starting to bother me. Do you take yours out 3 at a time ? :smiley:

Or do you get better weather conditions in Leeds than we do down here ?  :smiley:

I'm only kidding  :grin:

:D

I wish I could! In a way they are on a rotation, one which some come up more often than others ;).

What are you going to mount it on, as a matter of interest ?

There is a Giro on e.bay that would probably do it if you want to stay with alt-az.

A HEQ-5 probably, once next months' pay comes in. That way I won't have one mount for imaging and one for observing, just one for both - although the EQ may be a pain to use visually - we shall have to see :)

Where is this Giro? :)

The ad is nothing to do with me but here it is:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giro-Mount-with-Extended-Counterweight-Bar-and-Skywatcher-Counterweight-/121258184812?hash=item1c3b8d106c

It's a bit scruffy but a drop of white spirit, some white paint and a good solid tripod would see it looking much better and fit for quite a load. 

The OMC200 has a focal length of 4 metres though doesn't it ? - on 2nd thoughts I think you might need something driven like an HEQ5.

Mind you the previous owner of my Bray Tablet alt-az used to use a C14 SCT on it so it can be done  :smiley:

The ad is nothing to do with me but here it is:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giro-Mount-with-Extended-Counterweight-Bar-and-Skywatcher-Counterweight-/121258184812?hash=item1c3b8d106c

It's a bit scruffy but a drop of white spirit, some white paint and a good solid tripod would see it looking much better and fit for quite a load. 

The OMC200 has a focal length of 4 metres though doesn't it ? - on 2nd thoughts I think you might need something driven like an HEQ5.

Mind you the previous owner of my Bray Tablet alt-az used to use a C14 SCT on it so it can be done  :smiley:

Yes, it's 4m focal length - minimum magnification of 80x with my current eyepiece line-up. Even the Pan looks like a planetary eyepiece at 167x :rolleyes:.

Of course, the C14 has the same focal length (pretty much) as the OMC200, so if Alt-az observing can be done with a C14, it can be done with this scope ;).

Thanks for the link though, was thinking of driven due to the focal length though.

Hope you enjoy it Jonathan :-)

From my experience, it needs a bit more than a giro mount. I tried it side by side with my apo recently on my AYODigi and that worked very well so an Ercole may do it. The tripod is just as important, my EQ6 really helps the stability.

My logic previously was also to use a Goto mount. Even a 31 Nagler only gives 0.64 degrees at x129 so finding things is fun. Having a driven mount really helps planetary observing so I think you are on the right lines.

Cooling and dew control are the two things to get right, it's a balance you need to strike but it's a lovely scope and will give fabulous views in good seeing. As said to you, my best views of Saturn were with this scope with a 13mm Ethos at x307 on a lovely clear and stable night.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Enjoy :-)

Stu

I was briefly tempted, as Stu knows - but glad it's gone to a good home.  I've just bought a QHY5L-II camera and so the f20 of this scope looked just right, but I'm happy to continue with my C8 and barlow combination for planetary.

I'd definitely look into how you are going to cool it Jonathon, don't you keep your scopes in your flat?

I keep my 180 in a garage and before I got a cooler it took about 45 minutes to cool and even when you do get it at ambient temperature if the temp drops through the night you may struggle to get the best out of it. I've only noticed this happen twice and it wasn't too bad, just small heat spikes on defocused stars but if you really want to make that thing sing then I'd definitely look into a cooler. 

I think JamesF has made one and theres some threads on the interweb to DIY.

I know you have got it for imaging but when you can afford it get some binoviewers for it. :)

I'd definitely look into how you are going to cool it Jonathon, don't you keep your scopes in your flat?

I keep my 180 in a garage and before I got a cooler it took about 45 minutes to cool and even when you do get it at ambient temperature if the temp drops through the night you may struggle to get the best out of it. I've only noticed this happen twice and it wasn't too bad, just small heat spikes on defocused stars but if you really want to make that thing sing then I'd definitely look into a cooler. 

I think JamesF has made one and theres some threads on the interweb to DIY.

I know you have got it for imaging but when you can afford it get some binoviewers for it. :)

I was thinking about a cooler for it, some kind of DIY thing - it will have to wait until my wallet recovers though :rolleyes:.

It's the top of the house where my room is.

It's not purely for imaging, I will be viewing with it too - once I've got the HEQ-5 I'll still have to save up for a camera, I suppose I could use my 350D but that's not really suitable for planetary AP - it would be good to see what it can do visually :).

Archived