Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sore feet and pier height question

rkc

Last night I managed to try out my new pier mount for the first time, and in general it was a resounding success - much easier than setting up a tripod, and I hope will achieve its goal of getting me out observing more often. However, there were a couple of things I wasn't quite so happy about.

The pier height allows me to get good views through my ED80 refractor without having to bend or stoop (good for the back). But this has some downsides too:

1. It's too high for my 12-year-old son, who had to stand on a chair for almost all objects

2. I ended up with sore feet from standing on a cold hard patio

3. I don't see how it's going to work with a reflector

4. Adjusting the angle of the diagonal each time I look at something new is really fiddly

I can easily reduce the pier height by 6 inches or so (I left the riser threads long with that in mind), which might help a little (but probably not enough) with 1 and 3, and maybe allow me to use a tall stool (which might help with 2). but was wondering how anyone else with a fixed pier handles these problems

Richard

An ED80 is small enough that it can be used visually on a tripod without extending the legs. That would bring it down to a good height for your son and you could use an adjustable height stool or chair to save your back - much more comfy. Does your ED80 have a thumb screw on top of the focuser? Most of them do and it allows you to rotate the whole focuser tube without fiddling with the diagonal.

You do need to keep your feet warm - I use a regular pair of socks with long thermal socks over them to keep my calfs warm as well. You can also insulate the patio with a few old offcuts of carpet (maybe newspaper underneath them too. You'll need the "collapsed" tripod for the reflector cos the eyepiece will be set too high otherwise. Just use the pier mount for getting the scope up out of the way for imaging.

I'm sure there will be other suggestions but hope that helps. :)

(I had a tripod with a pier extension)

An ED80 is small enough that it can be used visually on a tripod without extending the legs. That would bring it down to a good height for your son and you could use an adjustable height stool or chair to save your back - much more comfy. Does your ED80 have a thumb screw on top of the focuser? Most of them do and it allows you to rotate the whole focuser tube without fiddling with the diagonal.

You do need to keep your feet warm - I use a regular pair of socks with long thermal socks over them to keep my calfs warm as well. You can also insulate the patio with a few old offcuts of carpet (maybe newspaper underneath them too. You'll need the "collapsed" tripod for the reflector cos the eyepiece will be set too high otherwise. Just use the pier mount for getting the scope up out of the way for imaging.

I'm sure there will be other suggestions but hope that helps. :)

(I had a tripod with a pier extension)

Thanks for the reply.

The trouble with using different heights for different scopes (or different purposes) is that it makes a permanent pier very difficult to design, and using a tripod for some purposes negates much of the purpose of the permanent pier. The height I have at the moment is perfect for photography purposes I think (helps get the scope high enough to give me a view over the shed), but like many things in astronomy it seems compromise is needed. I'll try lowering it the 6 inches or so that I can without requiring surgery and see if I find that better or worse (may then be low enough to use a stool for observing with the ED80 at least).

My ED80 (I have this one: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-evostar-80ed-ds-pro-outfit.html) does not seem to have the mechanism for rotating the whole focuser as you describe.

Don't worry, you're not missing out - I can rotate my focuser but I found it easier to rotate the diagonal.

The difficulty is getting the little thumbscrews tight enough (with cold fingers) that the weight of the eyepiece can be supported. Plus it invariable ends up shifting the position of the object you have just carefully centered in the eyepiece.

I wonder if one of these http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/baader-click-lock-2956256-m56-celestron-skywatcher.html is worth the money

You're entirely correct - I used to have trouble undoing and doing up the diagonal in the cold just like yourself. An alternative is to get a 2" diagonal. They come with a 1.25" adaptor usually (but check with the retailer) and the thumbscrews are larger and clear of the scope body and diagonal body - much easier to adjust the angle and change eyepieces. And a 2" diag will be a stronger support for larger eyepieces.

The Baader Clicklock adaptor looks good as well - but you'll eventually want a 2" diag anyway so it might be an idea to try that first. Get the clicklock afterwards if still needed. The ED80 is a nice choice of glass btw.

As for the height problem - maybe if you reduce the pier height as much as poss and then get a caravan step for your lad (rarely cost more than a tenner for a basic heavy duty plastic one) might be the compromise needed here. It'll come in handy if ever you get a newtonian as well. I know what you mean though cos my missus is into observing and imaging and she's about half a mile shorter than me lol :)

You're entirely correct - I used to have trouble undoing and doing up the diagonal in the cold just like yourself. An alternative is to get a 2" diagonal. They come with a 1.25" adaptor usually (but check with the retailer) and the thumbscrews are larger and clear of the scope body and diagonal body - much easier to adjust the angle and change eyepieces. And a 2" diag will be a stronger support for larger eyepieces.

The Baader Clicklock adaptor looks good as well - but you'll eventually want a 2" diag anyway so it might be an idea to try that first. Get the clicklock afterwards if still needed. The ED80 is a nice choice of glass btw.

As for the height problem - maybe if you reduce the pier height as much as poss and then get a caravan step for your lad (rarely cost more than a tenner for a basic heavy duty plastic one) might be the compromise needed here. It'll come in handy if ever you get a newtonian as well. I know what you mean though cos my missus is into observing and imaging and she's about half a mile shorter than me lol :)

I am already using a 2" diagonal. The Click-lock does seem to get good reviews, so I think I'll give it a go.

I think on the height the plan is as you say - reduce it as far as I can (without surgery) and use a step, and see how it goes. If it's still too high, I can remove some courses of bricks (but that would be rather more work, and rather less reversible!)

Thanks

I have a couple of Click Locks a straight though and a Diagonal, there not cheap but there very stable and changing the angle of a EP is just move the lever alter the EP(Diagonal) put the lever back, that's the straight through one the Diagonal is for changing EP at the flick of a lever 

DSC_9994.jpg

I use an adjustable gas lift bar stool.  Works well for most positions and might work with your refractor.  Not found altering the diagonal position a problem.

Thanks - I will look out for something like that

I have a couple of Click Locks a straight though and a Diagonal, there not cheap but there very stable and changing the angle of a EP is just move the lever alter the EP(Diagonal) put the lever back, that's the straight through one the Diagonal is for changing EP at the flick of a lever 

Thanks - I have ordered one to try.

Archived