Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2014: What are you looking forward to observing?

Kirscovitch

For me, the sun and the moon are most what I am looking forward to. :smiley:

With the sun it's always quite exciting having the first look of the day, as you never quite know what you are going to get!

And I am starting to feel familiar with parts of the moon and I think I will just love the moon more and more as I get to know it better and can hopefully start to put names to some of these parts, armed with my moon map I got for Christmas! I think it's a little bit like constellations - when you get familiar with them it can be like seeing old friends :laugh:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several things I want have been mentioned. Lokking forward to all the plenetary oppositions. Still not ha a 100% confirmed GRS. Really must start keeping a log of my observations as I forget what I have seen often (age thing, hehe)

Two things are a must going into 2014 though, more dark sky viewing away from LP and erm what was it? Oh yes,

BETELGUESE TO GO NOVA yeahhhhhhhhh

the GRS should be straight forward partic in your 12" dob. it's quite pink this year too.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/skytel/beyondthepage/Great-Red-Spot-Transit-Table-Sept-Dec-2013-222377271.html

might help you plan sessions. how about in around half an hour tonight or about 1030pm on NYE?

Be nice to continue doing more planetary observing and to follow the slight changes from now to opposition time.

Not sure if it helps but I think these are the dates:

5th Jan: Jupiter.

8th Apr: Mars.

10th May: Saturn.

29th Aug: Neptune.

7th Oct: Uranus.

Lunar and Solar work will continue and hopefully the eclipse in April will turn out nice.

Other than that a few dark site visits will be on the menu. Really need to 'get into' galaxy hunting.

Hope everyone else's wishes come true for 2014 :smiley:

Another decent comet would be good!! The excitement around Ison was infectious and Lovejoy a pleasure in 2013.

Otherwise. Spring galaxies and clusters all the way...... to Saturn which I've never seen through a scope.

Paul

Archived