Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beating the cold!

OK,

I've (almost) decided on the 'scope (Syliner 200P Dob).

Next vital equipment is something to keep the cold out.

I've got a decent coat and a beanie hat, but thinking about a balaclava (don't tell my mum - she will knit me one...) and also some thermal leg protection - long johns or man tights?

I've got some old Damart driving gloves which are ideal as they are warm but thin. Already got a red head-light.

Any sugestions where I can get balacalva and something for my legs?

Try the Army navy stores or Fleebay online for Balaclavas ?.  There's plenty of winter lined trousers out there these day's, Shop around online again then go and see them for yourself before buying?.

Be warned though no matter how many layers you have on the cold will get through eventually due to just  standing inactive for a few hours?.  

Take hot drinks or soup in a flask to keep warm!.

Wishing you Clear night skies for 2014.   

Thermal fleece base layer shirt and bottoms

Snowboarding mid layer shirt

Ski jacket

Snow trousers

Merino wool socks over skinny socks (TK Maxx does these for very little money)

British Army Extreme Cold boots (make sure your boots been warmed up before putting them)

Mitts (TK Maxx)

Ushanka style hat.

You can score this stuff pretty cheaply on web ski wear shops

When buying boots get one size up, that way you can put in

thermal insoles, and thick thermal socks, if you have an off cut

of carpet that will do to stand on, anything to keep your feet warm,

and layer up with the rest of your clothing.

thinking about a balaclava (don't tell my mum - she will knit me one...) and also some thermal leg protection - long johns or man tights?

lol, the joys (or not as the case may be) of insecure youth ;)

I bet any balaclava your Mum would knit for you would be far better/warmer than anything you'd buy in the shops. Ask her to make it a nice chunky one.

I've said it before to other teeny boppers .. NEVER feel ashamed of your parents or of their love for you, it matters not one iota what others think or have to say about it, it's entirely there problem if they do, not yours.

I know from experience that either or both parents could literally be there one minute, and gone the next, without ANY warning what so ever. Treasure every moment they are there for you sneezy, and be proud of ur Mum, let her knit that ever so warm bally for yooz :)

lol, the joys (or not as the case may be) of insecure youth ;)

I bet any balaclava your Mum would knit for you would be far better/warmer than anything you'd buy in the shops. Ask her to make it a nice chunky one.

I've said it before to other teeny boppers .. NEVER feel ashamed of your parents or of their love for you, it matters not one iota what others think or have to say about it, it's entirely there problem if they do, not yours.

I know from experience that either or both parents could literally be there one minute, and gone the next, without ANY warning what so ever. Treasure every moment they are there for you sneezy, and be proud of ur Mum, let her knit that ever so warm bally for yooz :)

It was a flippant comment! My mum is almost 90 and very frail, and my dad passed away in July - missing him lots!

And I'm definitely not a teen! (OK, maybe in mental age!), well over 60 and retired!

It was a flippant comment! My mum is almost 90 and very frail, and my dad passed away in July - missing him lots!

And I'm definitely not a teen! (OK, maybe in mental age!), well over 60 and retired!

oh sorry Sneezy lol. Hard to tell at times on here, don't take offence.

Well, my statement still stands to all those other teenies on here ;)

oh sorry Sneezy lol. Hard to tell at times on here, don't take offence.

Well, my statement still stands to all those other teenies on here ;)

No problem Cath, no offence taken.

Clear Skies! (forgotten what they look like!)

Hi all, I did try observing Jupiter through my bedroom window through my 127 Mak using binoviewers. Was warm and cosy and did see a lot of detail. Agreed outside would be much better but its not a waste of time from indoors if you are unwell or suffer from the cold ;-) 

Unless it's stupidly cold like -30c (I know what that feels like, I've been to Iceland) I just wear a few layers, a hat, decent boots and thick socks. I don't go to any expense to keep warm, at least not yet (temps ranging from 5c to -10c so far, being out for an hour to a couple or more hours).

I have experienced -30 in the Russian Artic and my nostrils froze up. I was on a work related trip. One thing that really struck me is that the Russians covered their legs with long coats to keep the cold away from their legs, a big heat loss area.

So long coats or thermal under trousers and do not wear jeans!

Next week will be a test of what I bought from Decathlon in Shanghai as I am in Korea....got a very neat (artificial) fur lined hat with ear flaps and snow boots and gloves.

Archived