Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Unofficial - observing session tonight Blaanavon Sat 28th Dec

stevetynant

Hi all

I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by doing this but the forecast for tonight in Blaenavon looks great and the moon is out of the way - the forecast after tommorrow looks horrendous again.

Pete and I are going up to Blaenavon for a session- seems like ages since I've got the scope up but would be glad of some company if anyone fancies a cold evening out on the Mountain.

I'm aiming to get there just as it starts to get dark - apologies for the short notice but the way things are I just think you need to take advantage of the window when you can.

I don't live near Blaenavon so can't tell what the conditions are like but the BBC Website looks good- a few clouds early on then clearing nicely

As I said before Apologies Matt and the rest of the group if this is out of order- but a chance is there and its been so long- seems like a good idea

Hopefully catch up with anyone who;'s interseetd this evening

cheers

Steve

Nice one Steve. Will be good to see everyone again. Looking at the time now I think I'd better start getting the kit together. Now, where's the duster........

David, I just remembered........ I'll bring the O'Meara book on "Hidden Treasures". 

I hope the weather has played ball for you all tonight,tom has a bad chest infection so I couldn't leave him with a babysitter .If you want to join us knobby at the next session your more than welcome too.......hopefully I will have the new dob by then so I will bring it up.

I was reminded earlier (the wife) that I had polished off a bottle of wine at lunch, and did I think it was a good idea to drive up the side of a mountain so soon after.

On reflection, with the boys in blue still in the Christmas spirit, I agreed with her. You would think she'd offer to drive and wait for me. :evil:  :grin:

Catch you all next time.

Well cheers to Pete,David,mike and Luke was a real pleasure to get out. The skies were stunning well done BBC weather,pretty much spot on. The only problem was the wind which whilst not howling was annoying enough to make the dobs unstable to get good focus but it was a beautiful night none the less and enough to fuel the fire for our next sessions in the new year when hopefully we can meet up with a little more notice. Have a great new year all.:-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thats the problem with the wind up there, if they forecast 9/10 mph you can easily double it due to the altitude and being so exposed.Tom has settled down finaly so im heading out in the garden armed with the baby monitor and a bottle of lager to image the grs transit at 10, happy new year to everyone and I will see you all in January.

It was a good session, but we should have brought some ice skates as the parking lot was a little precarious for walking. I really enjoyed the evening till my hot water bottle got cold, and my toes told me it was time to pack it up;  all in all, well worth the trip, and nice to catch up with old friends again. I mainly observed Jupiter, and a couple of nebulas with our 3 1/2" Mak.  Was able to push 108x with the 12mm eyepiece for some crisp views. :smiley:   

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the next meet.

Cheers !

Archived